Monday, March 1, 2010

Medals Ceremony


2010 Quilting Games

The Olympics are suddenly over. I am not a sports fan, but I did enjoy the figure skating and ice dancing. I also watched several other competitions, but as the days went on, I watched less and less, and was looking forward to a time that I could see something else on television. All the other stations played reruns or things I did not want to watch.

But it's all good, because it gave me more time to work on my own Quilting Games.
I told you earlier that I have started the competition for the 2010 Quilting Games. I entered the competition late, so I didn't get as much done as I would have liked. I competed in all of the categories:
  • Go back and Label a Quilt - no medal here, I didn't even see if I had any that needed labeling.

  • Work on a UFO - I'll take an honorable mention here, because I did continue to work on ripping out the border for the Moldy Crackers quilt. Even though it technically never became a UFO, I am working hard to make sure it doesn't become one. I also cut out some applique shapes for a UFO, but haven't attached them.
  • Organize your Sewing Space - A Bronze Medal for this one. I did spend some time clearing out the tables and the floor in the Sewing Space. Some of the stuff was just dumped in my bedroom, so I can't get a higher medal.

  • Expand your Knowledge - I'll take a Gold Medal here. I've read many blogs, and gotten lots of great ideas. Maybe too many ideas. I also read a couple of books and watched a video or two.

  • Try a New Technique - A Bronze Medal in this category. I have started fusible applique, which I technically haven't done in a quilt, although I did do some for the holiday gifts. Also hand quilting. But I haven't finished either project yet, so
  • Reach Out and Perform An Act of Quilty Kindness. I'll take an early Platinum Medal in this category. Besides making an effort to make more comments on blogs, I also received a kit for Quilts for Kids, as I showed you earlier. The top is pieced, and I'm hoping to finish it this week and mail it back to them.
2010 GeneaBloggers Game

I have started competing in the Winter 2010 GeneaBloggers Games.

I will be competing in all of the competition categories:
  • Go Back and Cite Your Sources - I didn't do this at all.

  • Back Up Your Data - a Gold Medal here. I backed up all my stuff, not just the genealogical stuff.

  • Organize Your Research - I didn't do this at all. I had taxes and FAFSa paperwork to do, and trying to organize / trash the paper I had with regular day to day stuff was enough. This is an area I definitely need to work on though.

  • Expand Your Knowledge - A Platinum Medal here. I watched several videos on the internet from Roots TV, which is now being discontinued. I also watched several shows on PBS for Black History Month. There were also histories on Ohio and some wars. I also did a little bit more research, getting about 10 obituaries. One of them raised a lot of new questions - this person had a lot of foster children who were included in her obit, as well as step or half siblings I had not known.

  • Write, Write, Write - I wrote on this blog, which means I am providing new history, so I'll give myself a small Bronze here, but otherwise I didn't write any history this year.

  • Reach Out & Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness - I'll take a Platinum Medal here. I indexed several batches of census records for www.familysearch.org.

3 comments:

Allie said...

Well good for you - you're an Olympian! I seemed to get more done with the tv on all the time, I don't know why - I watched it all. Since I can't watch tv without keeping my hands busy, maybe that's why I got more done. I'm glad it's over now though!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shasta,
Thanks for visiting my blog and encouraging me with my granddaughter's heavy quilt. Yes, I have been very discouraged and my daughters even came over to tell me it was turning out just fine. Thank God for encouragers! Thank you!
We watched the Olypics and my favorites were the downhill skiing and the snow boarding. I guess it just amazes me how someone can repel themselves 50 feet into the air and twist and turn and still land on their feet. The downhill is much steeper than the camera even showed it. That is beyond my comprehension! :) ♥♥♥ ChattyCathy

Tanya said...

Hi Shasta. I should have competed in the quilting olympics too. There is a lot there that I need to put my name in for. Maybe I'll try a new technique?... I have done fusible applique but I'm wondering about trying machine applique next...