Sunday, February 2, 2014
Happy Superbowl Sunday
Hope you are having a wonderful day, whether you are watching the game, or enjoying some leisure time. I have finished piecing the improv quilt. I have also added tucks / darts so that it now lays flat. I repeated the process several times to make sure that the quilt would be truly flat. After a few runs, I decided any remainder will have to quilt out.
Since I was using blocks, it is squarish. I debated whether to trim it straight and have a real rectangle, or to leave it wonky. I decided that I did want to use a ruler to trim it straight. Since I didn't want to chop off any of the blocks in the straightening process, I added some more fabric to the edges that would have required the other side to be chopped off. I kept adding bits and pieces to both sides. Then I finally decided to bite the bullet and trim the thing already. This was difficult, since there were several large pieces that had to be chopped off.
I wish I could show you the photos, but I have promised confidentiality.
Yesterday, I pieced several leftover fabrics to make the backing. I though about making the back improv as well, but decided that I needed straight of grain to help support the bias edges on the front.
Today, I will be piecing the batting (only two pieces), and sandwiching.