Friday, August 15, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop


 Hello and Welcome! Today, I am going to tell you a little bit about myself as I participate in the Around the World Blog Hop. I'm not sure who started it, but I heard about it from A Quilting Life.  The concept is pretty simple. Just answer the following four questions:
  1. What am I working on?
  2. How does my work differ from others?
  3. Why do I write/create what I do?
  4. How does my writing/creative process work? 


I'm so happy you asked. As I answer, I grabbed some random pictures from my blog to give you a taste of what types of things I have made. These are older quilts from when I started this blog.  I don't think they show the variety of quilts that interest me, but they will give you an idea about what I've made.


What am I working on? 
My current plan is to work on projects that have already been started.  I still like these projects, so there is no point in abandoning them just to start something new.  I am working on a quilt I started last month. I am calling it Lansing Leaves because it was started in Lansing. I also have a couple of other projects that I started earlier this year that I want to go back and finish before tackling even older projects.




I also write a variety of articles for HubPages as you can see in my sidebar. There, I write about genealogy, quilting, health, finance, relationships, and anything else that occurs to me at the moment.

How does my work differ from others? 
 My work is very eclectic - I like improv quilts, crazy quilts, modern quilts, traditional quilts, two color quilts, scrap quilts, reproduction quilts, small quilts -  I like them all.  I tend to flit from one project and one type of project to another, and sometimes it is hard to make the adjustment, especially when I flit from something very casual like an improv quilt to something that requires more attention, like a Jane Stickle block. 

I like to make sure that my work is different from anyone else's, so I try to use a different fabric than others (even if it is similar), or try to change up a pattern. I am also trying to develop more confidence to create my own patterns.

 Why do I write/create what I do? 

Because I would go crazy if I didn't!  I thoroughly enjoy creating - whether it is cooking, quilting, or writing an article - it nourishes my soul.  I also like the fact that there is an end result - a quilt, an article, something I can eat.  It makes me feel productive and avoids feelings of guilt for simply wasting my time.


How does my writing/creative process work?

I find something I like, and I work on it, and then something calls me and I move back and forth as my interest calls.  When I am designing my own quilt or writing an article, I have a general plan in my head, and then I just start and let it take me where it goes. I stop as needed to do research if I get stuck or need help.   The end product is generally very different from what I originally envisioned, but it is usually much better.



I hope you've enjoyed learning about me. If you would like to write a post answering these questions, I would love to read it. Please let me know in the comments if you do!

[Edited to add:

It turns out that the way this blog hop works is that you get tagged by someone to write yours, and then you tag others to write theirs.  Angela from soscrappy has been kind enough to retroactively tag me.  Instead of specifically tagging people, she stated that she would tag the first three people who wanted to join in.  I like that plan.  If you want to be tagged, let me know, and I'll tag you in a future post.]

7 comments:

Michele Bilyeu said...

Well done! The whole time I was reading, I was thinking how would I have answered this? Ha. food for thought and I still haven't figured it out. But, I did enjoy your process as well as your quilts!!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Testing to see if my email is set up properly.

Allie said...

Fun post Shasta! I relly enjoy seeing your quilts!

scraphappy said...

Thanks for the insight into your quilting process. We should all take a bit of time to ponder what we do and why from time to time.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Visiting from Angela's tag - I, too am eclectic and love it.

Wendy said...

I am enjoying this blog hop, getting to meet more quilters and crafters. I've seen a lot of people say they like modern and traditional quilts, all quilts, different quilts and I think it's great. I feel that the Modern Quilting Movement, whilst a good thing, is sort of categorising people and trying to put labels on their work and I don't like that, so keep doing what you're doing.

Barb said...

fun to see what you've been doing - love your leaves quilt or dog cover :)