Saturday, February 6, 2016

Project Quilting Season 7 Thread



This week's Project Quilting challenge is about thread. This month's Small Quilt Challenge is about hearts. I decided to combine both challenges and make something I could send to a loved one.


I started out with a quilt sandwich and lots of thread.  I usually use a simple background that has a high contrast with what I add, but I liked this fabric, and thought it would give a softer, more mature, look.

I used the embroidery stitches on my machine to add a variety of stitches in all of the threads I had chosen. The plan was to stitch everything on one sandwich and then cut out the individual shapes. A heart for the heart quilt that I could send to my daughter. Maybe a rectangle to turn into a spool of thread. And if there was enough extra, a circle for Circle 365.




I then cut out the heart from it, using a template to make sure I had the right shape and size. I decided that using different threads was enough for the thread challenge. This doesn't look like it would work too well as a spool of thread.  I cut another, slightly smaller, heart for myself. When I make something for someone else, I have learned to make one for myself too, especially when it is small and easy, like this is. Economy of scale and all that.


The original plan was to apply this heart to a background to make a postcard, but I really liked the idea of a quilt that was not a square or rectangle. I also wanted something that was bigger than a postcard.  If I am going to mail it in an envelope anyway, I could make it any size I wanted!  This idea also fit with the idea of finishing by Sunday's deadline, so I finished the edges off with satin stitches.


As a bonus, there was enough leftover sandwich to make a circle. Another bonus is that I didn't have to take a quilt off the board to make room for it.


4 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Love your hearts xx

Janie Bettis said...

Your heart immediately caught my eye in the PQ Link-up. It's such a great idea and your wonderful threads and decorative stitches work beautifully together.

Kate said...

Beautifully done! I love those hearts. Seems like you did well with both challenges.

June D said...

Super work again!

: )