Friday, August 4, 2017
It is quilt reveal day, so of course it is dark and dreary outside that do not provide for photogenic pictures. But I am finished with this quilt, and am excited to show it to you so here it is.
I like to combine my passions for quilting and genealogy from time to time, and often thought about making a family tree quilt with names of the family members. One day, maybe when I was working on Life of Plenty, I realized that our family was small enough to make good leaves on a flower. I've covered up the names in order to protect everyone's privacy, which is a shame because I really like the font I used. Besides the backstitches, a lot of the letters are accented with french knots.
I used fusible applique and stitched around the shapes twice. The needle kept gumming up with the fusible so the stitches aren't as smooth as they could be. The names are hand-stitched and chain stitches help show the family relationships.
Here it is on the bulletin board to show its relative size. It is 12" x 12". I wanted to keep the quilting stitches minimal, as I had seen that look on other quilts. Even my other two flower quilts shown here have minimal quilting. But since there is so much space between the quilted motifs and the binding, the fabric did not stay as smooth as it should have been. It looks worse in these pictures than it does in real life, but I may add more quilting stitches (and maybe some ribbon if there is a lot of excess) to smooth it out.