Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Quilting Ethnic Drunkard's Path Quilt

After finishing the commission quilt and the mini quilt of the month, I could finally resume the quilting that had slowed almost to a standstill when the busy time at work happened.  I decided to pick up on quilting the drunkard's path quilt. I call it the ethnic drunkard's path quilt, because I already have another drunkard path, and this one has a more exotic feel to it, but I don't know the art in these countries enough to know where exactly to place it - Morocco, Spain, Persia, etc. The other one is really a leftovers of this one, but it is smaller and got finished before this one. That one took forever to quilt too.


I am working on a domestic sewing machine, and apparently working long hours, forgetting to turn on the light!


It is a lap size quilt, which seems to grow in size as I am quilting it; (really, I have how much left to quilt?!), but I am pretty sure it will resume normal proportions when I am done.  Right now, I am quilting the light ring around the center shape. I wanted all the lights to work together so I am quilting them all as a group. The echo quilting really helped add the cohesiveness to the pattern.  It is pretty big area width size so I used these long leaves, but they seemed like long bananas when I looked at them. These curly shapes make me happy.


It isn't perfect quilting, but there is less pressure than there was when I first made the quilt.  I am not as much of a perfectionist anymore, and the fabrics are dated enough now that I can relax a bit. And although I can see lots of mistakes in this picture and I almost wanted to take out this quilting, when I step back and look at the quilt as a whole, the quilting adds texture I want, and I am leaving it, and continuing the same design in similar spaces around the entire center. If you do keep doing it, it isn't a mistake, it is a design choice!


15 Minutes to Stitch: Week 30

It is already Wednesday, but I wanted to enjoy bragging about my finishes. So now I can belatedly tell you about my stitching week last week, that ended on Sunday,  After finishing Fuschia Fairy, I have been working solely on quilting the ethnic drunkard path quilt.
 
15 Minute sessions of stitching this month: 7 out of 7
15 Minute sessions of stitching this year: 172 out of 209 sessions
Success Rate: 82%

The pictures of the tomatoes and peppers were taken at a park. I hadn't seen those shapes and really like them.

Linked to:
Throwback Thursday  - this quilt top is from before I started this blog. I think it has waited long enough to be quilted.
Wednesday Wait Loss - I am still learning free motion quilting and am learning how to step back and look at the whole picture instead of fretting over every little bobble, of which there are many!

5 comments:

Connie said...

Now you have earned the true badge of a dedicated quilter: one who is so wrapped up in her project that she doesn't get up to turn on the light, LOL. That's dedication!

Tanya said...

Great leafy quilting! What kind of sewing machine do you use? I've been looking at sewing machines and checking out the Brother Soleil machines... A machine that can do decent machine quilting is a must!

Kate said...

You've been moving along on many different fronts this month. I like the way you interpret "design choice". Happy stitching the rest of this week (how is it Thursday and the 1st of August already?)

Kyle said...

Looking at the whole is what we should be doing otherwise, it's too easy to find fault.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Shasta, good luck with your free motion quilting of your drunken path quilt. It is a challenge quilting anything larger than a placemat but your FMQ is coming along great! Thanks for linking up.