Saturday, January 18, 2020

Can't Have Just One

Or one hundred. These yo-yos are so addictive! They are really fun to make.


This is the first batch of hundred. Most of these are from the English Garden fat quarter pack, and just a few of the 1930s reproductions. I am using pink, blue, green and yellow.


This is the second batch of 100. To be fair, the first and second batches were mixed together so I could see how they looked together.


For the third batch, I decided I didn't have enough green so I added green fabrics. These greens and pinks are darker than the original pastels, so I added lots of yellow and cream to add more lightness.


Close to the end of the fourth batch, I decided purple that were coordinating shades would also work.


For the fifth batch, I decided I needed more blues, so I got more from my stash. I also decided orange that were coordinating shades would also work with the purple.


Here they are all together - all five hundred of them. They are a lot of fun to play with.

It will take 12 of these to surround each 6 inch square if I add square cornerstone squares. This will make a 10 inch block (one six-inch square with a two-inch yo-yo on each side). If I use a 7 x 9 setting, I will need 63 x 12 = 756 yo-yos.

Linked with:
Off the Wall Fridays

5 comments:

Fiona said...

that's a lot of yo-yo's...
Hugz

Joyful Quilter said...

Hmmmm, do we need to have an intervention? ;o) Lots of pretty colors, can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Emily said...

Wow, that's a lot of yo-yos! When I was reading and you got to fifth batch, I thought, did I read right that these were batches of 100?! Glad you are enjoying them!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

These are SEW much fun to look at. I found a bin of yo-yos among my mother's stash when she cleaned out her sewing space, like yours they were all 1930's reproduction fabrics. She was using them as centers in her Giant Dahlia blocks. I can't wait to see how yours comes together.

Kate said...

That's a lot of colorful yo-yos! Looking forward to watching them grow into a finish.