Sunday, October 11, 2020

Letters

 


My next addition to the Quote Quilt is this Letters. Getting letters in the mail has always been fun for me, and I have had many pen pals over the years, starting at a young age when I exchanged letters with an aunt.

I tore out the motif out of the paper, and really like that torn paper look. It makes me think about the scrapbook and junk journal videos I have been watching, so I tried to replicate that shape.

It is hard to do with needle turn applique. My original placement was too close to the stones and made this look more like stone than paper, so I decided to put it here instead.  There are only a few duplicate quotes and it is a big applique so the choices were limited.

The original placement covered up a duplicate quote but you could see some of it, which I thought would be good to give people a chance to try to find the original. This one is harder since there is only one word that is complete, and it isn't even the first word, but the handwriting is distinctive so people can still find the other quote if they want.

Now it might look like a cloud or a hill or a stone, but at least people can figure it out on their own. I thought about adding paper lines but that is probably too much work.


My statue, as usual doesn't look like the drawing, because I redraw instead of figuring out how to transfer a design, but his curls do look like there is something up there that shouldn't be.


 
 
I finished the inside pages of the booklet.  I did sew around the edges since I took this photo. I knew to make the cover bigger to incorporate the spine, but I did not make it big enough.  But that is okay since the back cover will be attached to the quilt anyway, and I have a decorative edge of a sheet that I can use to cover up that space, once I figure out where on the quilt I want to put this.
 

2020:  Weeks 41 of 15 Minutes to Stitch



This week, I added more motifs for the quote quilt. I also made a bunch of half square triangles for the Sunshine in Winter quilt. Since using the sewing machine to stitch up the Remember booklet, I wanted to sew something, and I wanted to make something yellow to honor yellow month. Instead of starting a new quilt, I reminded myself that I have a yellow quilt in the works and I haven't made any blocks for it this year.

This pattern name for this quilt, in case you don't remember, is the Garden Mosaic. It looks like they took the free pattern away, but here is a pin and another pin that shows what it looks like. It was expected to be a long term, make a bunch of blocks every month, over and over again until there are enough parts and pieces to make the quilt. I think the one with the darker color looks better but mine is going to be different shades of yellow.

I have been ordering my groceries online for pickup, and sometimes it is hard to see how quickly "a little bit of this, a little bit of that" add up.  This week, I have been doing a lot of cooking and freezing of meals. My frozen meal supply had been depleted anyway, so it is good to be able to stock up on that.


15 minute days this week -- 7 out of 7
15 minute days this year -- 231 out of 285 days
Success rate  = 81%

Linked with 

15 Minutes to Stitch

So Scrappy RSC 2020


3 comments:

Kate said...

Very fun additions to the quote quilt. The letter applique looks great. You've done well on the stitching front. Hope this week is as good.

Kyle said...

You come up with such clever ideas.

Tanya said...

Yes, you really do have clever ideas. I love your statue and the quote next to him!