Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Quilt Reveal: Leftover Rail Fence

I have completed the leftover rail fence quilt. As usual, the leftover quilt is finished before the original finish.  Here are some beauty shots.


The finished quilt is about 13" X 17".  It is made of rail fence strips that were left over after I made the blocks for the Cultural Fusion Railfence quilt.  Even though I had more leftovers to make this bigger, I decided it was just the right size as it was.  The blue border and the elephant keep it from looking too much like the original quilt.  I left the elephant mostly unquilted so it would stand out, and quilted everything around it every thoroughly.

It turns out that the quilt top was just the right size, because I found a scrap of polyester batting and a scrap for the backing that were both just the right size for this quilt.


 Here's the backing with the stowaway label. You can see that I tried a lot of different quilting designs on it.  It has been a long time since I free motion quilted, and the first time I did so on this machine.  Since this was a leftovers, improv quilt, I decided to do the quilting improv too.


Here's the whole thing.












In case you are missing seeing circles on this blog, here are a couple of circle for you. It's hard to make circles when the machine is set up for free motion quilting.

The one on the left is made with leftover scraps that had fusible on them.  That block represents Star Wars. You're just going to have to trust me on that one.

For the one on the right, I found the button on the ground during a walk and it just had to go into the quilt. If I have ever made a yo-yo before, it has been a long time, since I don't remember making one. I've always wanted to make one though, so  I can now check that off the list!

Linked to:
Scrap Quilt Challenge

8 comments:

Vera said...

Fun quilt but look at that cute panda. It totally photo bomb your pic :)

Anonymous said...

I love the addition of the elephant! It gives it great personality. (The panda is adorable as well).

Quiltdivajulie said...

I like the freedom of playing with leftovers, too ... Love your little quilt.

Kaja said...

Isn't it funny how the scraps spark our imaginations! This is a fun little piece.

Ann said...

Such a delight. The blue simply makes the quilt pop. And your elephant is the charming finish it needed. Good choices of improv quilting, too. I need to practice changing the quilting designs up like you've done here. Thanks for linking with AHIQ; it's a joy to see the unique work everyone else is creating.

Lara B. said...

Your Rail Fence mini is so fun Shasta! What a great idea to let yourself be free and play with the FMQ too. It looks great! I love the added touch of your appliqued elephant.
Fun circles too - I do see how it looks Star Wars like, LOL.

June D said...

A really nice finish! It's fun to catch up with all your projects!

Janie said...

I love your colors and fun finish!