Tuesday, December 11, 2018

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Things About Me



Random picture of the day: Azaleas

Day 11: 31 Day Blog Challenge
Pretty Piney posted these 5 Things About Me and I thought it would be good for me to do it too. My blog readers are going to learn a lot about this month as I try to think of enough things to tell you during this 31 Day Blog Writer's Challenge

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Things About Me

Here's the list if you want to follow along:

One Project You Are Particularly Proud Of

Two Mistakes You’ve Made in the Past

Three Things That Make Your Work Unique

Four Tools You Love to Use

Five Inspirations

 And here are my answers:

One Project You Are Particularly Proud Of

1. This is a difficult one because I am proud of most of my quilts for different reasons - perseverance, fabric selection, skills learned, etc. Luckily, the designer of these questions didn't ask for the one I am most proud of, because I don't know. I am choosing Winter Scene to show you.  It is a tiny quilt, but I made it using non-quilting fabric and I made up the design.  I am happy that people are able to identify the things that are in the scene. It was also enjoyable to make the no-pressure quilt. I made it in three days so had to trust each decision I made. There was no time for second guessing.



Two Mistakes You’ve Made in the Past

1. There are people who  have more confidence than I do, and I spent a lot of time thinking they were better than me at whatever thing they were bragging about. It took me a long time to realize that their confidence wasn't a good indicator of their skill level, as compared to mine.  I am working on increasing my confidence overall and learning to trust my own knowledge and skill. Now I have to learn a new way of reacting to these more confident people!

2. The other one is thinking that if something is fun or easy for me, it isn't what I should be doing for work.  I like writing, teaching, etc., but thought I should do something "better" when I was choosing a career. I have learned that just because something is easy or fun for me doesn't mean that it is easy or fun for someone else.  In my current job, I get lots of writing and teaching and I am much happier.



Three Things That Make Your Work Unique

1. I have very eclectic tastes.  I like primitive, modern, traditional, art quilts. Applique or piecing. Crazy quilting.  You name it, I probably like it. Most of my quilts include a big mix of different styles.

2. I use bright colors. They make me happy. I do include other, more sedate colors, but overall there is a lot of brightness in my work.

3. Most of my work is small.  I have made bed quilts, but most of my work is lap quilt or smaller category.



Four Tools You Love to Use

1. I just got a mandolin that chops fruits and vegetables, like onions and celery and apples. Just put on top of the blade, press the cover down and voila, the stuff is chopped.  I've been making things that need chopped fruits and vegetables lately!

2. The sewing machine extension table. It is so nice to have a flat bed so the quilt does not have as much drag. (All other quilting implements are hereby also included in this #2).

3. A camera. It helps me document my progress, try out different settings, help me remember things, and helps encourage me to keep adding photo-worthy prettiness to my life.

4. The computer. It lets me look up stuff I don't know, get inspiration, connect with other quilters, work to get a paycheck, etc.


Five Inspirations

1. People. There are inspiring people who try to do good in the world. I like to watch them and emulate them. It helps me when I see what terrible things other people do.

2. The library. The library offers books, magazines, computers and other resources to learn about things I don't know about.  It shows me what new stuff is out there and make new connections between things I do know about.

3. Pinterest, Google, Flickr, and other search engines help find photos of things I may want to applique or draw, or give me ideas about different ways of doing something.

4. Youtube. It helps me learn so much about how to do things. Also it is good to watch things to pass the time or have music playing in the background while I am doing something else.

5. Blogs. Blogs are still my main source of information. It helps me know people, and get more details about a quilt or project instead of just a photo.

Linked to:
Let's Bee Social

4 comments:

Kate said...

You've been doing really well on the 31 Day Blog Challenge. I think the hardest thing to teach our daughter was that she had unique talents like her friends. Because things were easy for her, she thought that didn't make her special. I think that's a hard thing to learn/accept about oneself. Happy stitching this week.

Kyle said...

Enjoyed your post today, getting to know you better and finding out what makes you uniquely you.

Cathy said...

This was a fun post. I enjoyed reading about you! I think I may have already known some of those things about you just from stopping by periodically to see what you are doing.

O'Quilts said...

great post!!!