Sunday, December 9, 2018

ATC Holder


Day 9: 31 Day Blog Challenge. Random picture of the day: Crazy quilt square


I have a new camera.  I needed another, easily transportable, camera because the battery cover of the old one broke off. Apparently, you can buy battery covers, which is all I need, but my camera is too old to get such a thing. Anyway, it is a good excuse to get a new one. It's a Canon Powershot.  I tested it out. Zeus likes it.

Since I am working on a binding for the Droid quilt, it has made me think of my next project I want to start.  There are so many, but I think I should do something that has been on my list for a long time. I do not know if people still make ATCs, but I've been wanting to make a holder for it since they were popular.

An ATC is an Artist Trading Card. It is a tiny art piece, exactly 2 1/2" x 3 1/2".  It can be made out of fabric or paper.  It is always gifted and not sold.


I made a prototype of an ATC holder.  I want to make a quilt with folded corners that will hold ATCs.    Something like Kate's Advent Calendar, which I also want to make, but I picture this one to be bigger. Right now I am thinking 100 or so spaces, even though I don't have 100 or so ATCs. Here is my sample. This is using fabric that is already out, but the plan is to use neutral fabrics so that the ATCs can shine on their own. I did think about keeping the inside fabric slightly patterned, so that it wouldn't look too empty if it isn't filled up all the way.


Here it is with an ATC inside it.  It is a little big for the ATC, but I worry that making it too tight to fit in the ATCs. The corners would hide too much of the ATC and there wouldn't be a lot of room to maneuver or deal with slightly mis-sized ATCs.

The sashing is too big and is overwhelming for the ATC. Maybe the inside fabric should be very plain, like black or white since it makes a frame for the ATC. I can fill in blank spaces with quotes on paper or some such other things.

 15 Minutes to Stitch

This week,  I found fabric and pieced the backing for the drunkard path quilt. I also pressed the top and the backing, as well as the binding fabric for the Droid quilt.  I sewed the binding on (still have to handsew the other part, and made the sample block I showed on this post.  My progress as of Sunday was:

15 Minute sessions of stitching this week:  7 out of 7
15 Minute sessions of stitching this year:  290 out of 343 sessions
Success rate: 85%

Linked to:
 15 Minutes to Stitch 
Oh Scrap! - I used scraps to make the sample
ScrapHappy

5 comments:

gayle said...

Your ATC holder is a really fun idea! Perfect way to display little works of art!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I have all of the ATCs I have collected over the years just hidden away in a box. Making a holder for them is a great idea. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think the only way to make it a closer fit would require smaller folded corners to hold it in.

Kate said...

I like the plain borders on the ATCs. Congrats on finding time to stitch every day this week. Hope this week is as good. I find it harder to get in the time each day the closer to Christmas we get.

Tanya said...

Hi Zeus! How neat that you have a new camera! My husband is shopping around now for a new one but he is not much for changes so he'll probably end up with an upgrade of the camera he's had.