Sunday, March 10, 2019

Butterfly Wreaths -- Quilted Scalloped and Bound


I finished quilting the scallops for Butterfly Wreaths.  It wasn't as hard as I expected it to be.  I wound up having the exact amount of thread I needed to make that last row of quilting. I switched to another slightly darker thread, which will be fine because it shows on the back and not the front. I followed the instructions to make bias binding, and I wound up having the exact amount of fabric for binding this quilt. When you add in the seam allowance, the scallops don't wind up being as deep as they looked when they were being cut.


Here's what it looks like from the back. There are several different colors of thread on the back, but it isn't obvious and adds interest. It looks so pretty, I'm not sure where to add the label.


The wind posed this shot.


It isn't finished yet!  I will wash away a little bit of stray marks where I marked the cutting line for the scallops, and then will be adding these beads in the light squares. I have to justify all the beads I buy to embellish quilts, and I have enough of these leaves for all of the squares.

[Edited to add: I am going to call this finished for now. This quilt finishes at an awkward size - too small to be a wall hanging over the couch, and too big to fit comfortably on the bulletin board.  It will probably serve best as a table topper, which means I shouldn't be adding embellishments on it. Also I need to get to the backlog of quilts that also want to be finished.]

 

15 Minutes to Stitch: Week 10


This week, I spent quilting and binding Butterfly Wreaths. Also learning how to scallop and do bias binding.  Yesterday, I started another (hopefully quick) quilt. I am almost done touching every. single. thing. in the master bedroom to see if it sparks joy. I have a couple of box lids of things I have kicked out of the room and I need to find new homes for them. After that, I need to do some general cleaning before I tackle deep cleaning another room.

15 Minute sessions of stitching this week: 7 out of 7
15 Minute sessions of stitching this year: 69 out of 69 sessions
Success Rate: 100%

Linked to:
Oh Scrap!
15 Minutes to Stitch Week 10
Slow Sunday Stitching - I stitched the binding on this quilt.
Moving it Forward 
What I Made on Monday 
Needle and Thread Thursday

15 comments:

Deanna W said...

I have been doing the "spark joy" too. Since Christmas I have decluttered two van loads of things from my house. Doing renovations helps too.

chrisknits said...

What a sweet little quilt! It sparks joy for me!! Good luck with finishing the room.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your scalloped border turned out great. It is a pretty quilt and will be even more unique when you get all of the beads sewn on.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful quilt and gorgeous quilting!

Ann said...

Such a beautiful finish. The scallops add so much to your design. When you have “just enough,” it’s always a good sign.

Kim said...

Oh how pretty your Butterfly Wreaths is. The scalloped border is lovely and your quilting finishes it off perfectly. A most exquisite finish. Good luck with your cleaning. =)

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Gorgeous! Love that scalloped border!!

Nines said...

Great finish! Wow, you're so fast!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

it's gorgeous!!! I really love scalloped borders... even though I've never done one before - I need to, they are so pretty! xx

Kate said...

Very pretty! Congrats on being brave and trying something new. You've done really well on finding time to stitch this year. Hope this week is as good on the stitching front. Thanks for linking up to 15 minutes to stitch this week.

seabreezequilts said...

My daughter was watching that program on netflix, she is very neat a tidy unlike her mother... I am very afraid.

Becca Fenstermaker said...

I love the scalloped finish! Beautiful job. Thanks for linking up to What I Made Monday.

dq said...

Hooray for a finish for you! It feels good, doesn't it?

Emily said...

Pretty! I love the scalloped edges, something I haven't tried yet. It will look lovely on a table.

Run 'n Stitch said...

What a great half square triangle block pattern. I love the scalloped border quilting.