As the weather is getting cooler, I am thinking about the end of the year. I want to get the basement cleanup and the quote quilt finished by the end of the year and the cooler weather is motivating me to finish up.
I think I should get the quote quilt top done close to the end of this quarter so I have time to get a backing. There won't be a lot of quilting but I will have to tack it down, probably by hand, and then bind it. I want to leave myself plenty of time to do that because it always takes longer to do than I think it should.
The zebra is from fabric that I have been saving for Elephant Parade's backing. It will need to be pieced anyway so I don't mind "borrowing" it. I was nervous the whole time I was adding it though. It doesn't use colors that I have been using on the quilt and it is at the top of the quilt, so it could dramatically influence the mood of the quilt. Did you notice that it is covering up a (duplicate) quote? It is probably not enough to make a difference, but at least you don't automatically think of the traditional quilt layout if you start looking at the quilt. As I tucked under the edges, it took a more reasonable proportion and now I like it.
I also added all those french knots to the fern on the left. Sure ferns have berries. The ferns didn't have a lot of contrast against the blue and now it holds its own attention better.I am going to outline the little bird so it has more definition.
Barbara Brackman recently shared a post with crazy quilts with portraits and animals if you are interested.
A random, I feel like adding a face here.
With all the new impulse additions I have been making, I decided I'd better look at the existing plans before I run out of space. This paisley was one of the drawings I had made. The center is reverse applique, which I haven't done yet on this quilt. Those french knots, messy as they are, got me started on all the french knots I have in the fern picture.
This was another planned one. I'm not sure if these stones would stay in place in real life, so they may not be as calming as they should be. I have resisted the urge to add words to them.
These are just little bits and I may add more at some point. I added Ohio on the right. It is a pattern from Doodle Stitching. I probably should have embroidered it because it is hard to applique tiny wavy lines. The yellow on the left is from a tutorial of the Roll Chain Stitch Queenie has on her blog. My rendition is horrible, but hey it is a new stitch and adds a little touch of color to the quilt.
This fabric is from the zebra print. It would have been a good vase or basket, but it was tall and skinny and I decided to keep it simple. It was a collage, and I cut it up and added it in different places on this quilt. A de-collage and re-collage.
I added the flag and the spider wheel buttons. The buttons are from a tutorial from Aimee Ray's blog. She made hers into roses.
This is also from the fabric with the zebra. There were a couple of smaller ones too. They were all pretty quick to add. I felt like the bottom of the quilt had more applique and the top had more embroidery, so these bits help add that balance. The idea to use this type of stitch instead of blind hem came from the crazy quilt video I showed you recently.
2020: Weeks 38 of 15 Minutes to Stitch
I spent more than fifteen minutes a day on stitching. Too bad, I can't go back and change my numbers for previous weeks. I did make up a bunch of time.
79.5%. rounds up to 80% in my book!