Friday, August 21, 2015

Quilt Reveal: Irish Chain


I have finished my Irish chain quilt. And I managed to keep it simple and modern. Even though all that white space called out to me to do something - add an applique or embroidery motif, some large multi-colored hand stitches, etc., I kept my promise to keep it simple and do some straight line quilting. I even stayed with the original plan and managed to avoid free motion quilting. I figured that the hexagon quilt is already giving me enough challenge, and I need to get this one done.


I've been trying to make a modern quilt.  Keeping it simple, but for every other quilt, I wound up doing something that threw off the modernity.  Straight lines all the way up and down the quilt, even through the border.  I thought about making vertical and horizontal lines, but I liked them better diagonal to make them fancier. I was originally going to use that dark green thread throughout, but I chickened out and went with the lighter thread for most of it.  The dark green is only on the chains.  I like the contrast the two different thread colors give this quilt.

What's so funny is that my most modern quilt is also the most traditional.  One of the first quilts I ever finished uses this kind of quilting pattern.


I had an extra nine patch left, so I made a label for it. I found several quotes about chains, and I particularly liked this one. We have to make so many decisions in quilting, as in life, and it is always a gamble whether the decision is a good one or not.

 I have not an ounce of regret. Every link is so valuable in forming the chain that is my life. Who I am today is because of those links, and I wouldn't change any of them.
Alanis Morissette



I bound it while binge-watching Rehab Addict, a home improvement show that fits more my style.  A single mother fixed houses without killing the character of the home.  Each of the little squares finish at .75".  It is approximately 21' x 27", making it one of my biggest small quilts.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Congratulations on the finish. It looks fabulous! I love the quote you put on the label.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Great label with an awesome quote. Congrats on the finish!