Sunday, June 17, 2018

The Problem With the Blue

When I first saw the reveal of the On Ringo Lake quilt, I have to admit that I was somewhat disappointed at first glance.  I was scrolling slowly, to savor the anticipation and joy of the reveal, and the first part of the scroll was almost nothing but blue. It was the setting triangles that form the border, but it just seemed like too much blue.  Then I kept scrolling and saw the other colors and saw how beautiful the quilt really is and was happy again.


Yet there was something about the blue that kept bothering me. That is why when I saw the neutral stripe in someone's setting triangles, I decided to add one too. It reduced the amount of blue in the setting triangles. I thought about putting the neutral stripe on the outside of the setting triangle so it would serve as a beach for my lake, but I really liked it better on the inside where it looks more like an inner border.

Then I had a contrary feeling, I kept thinking, that is not enough blue. It is a lake, it should have more blue. So I changed the cornerstones from brown to blue to add more blue in the center. Why am I thinking it is too much blue and not enough blue at the same time?


Finally,  I figured out what my problem was.  The blue in a lake is supposed to be on the inside, not the outside.  The outside is supposed to be the beach and the land and the inside is supposed to be the blue lake.

This may seem like an insurmountable problem. After all, I've come too far to remake my blocks in a new colorway. However, the solution to this problem is really quite easy.


Instead of calling it a lake, we can call it an island.  My first inclination is to think of Alcatraz, as in the former jail that I saw in San Francisco. It was a beautiful place, but the stories of the jail were somewhat depressing. Even though I am enjoying putting the rows together now, the name is fitting with my feeling about sewing when I was making the same block over and over and over again.  And the many other projects I keep telling myself I can't start because I need to get this one done first. But really, I do like this quilt and I am enjoying making it.


Then I got an offer for a free 8x10 from a drugstore.  I looked at recent pictures, but you know, I haven't taken any good family pictures this year, or last.  People don't like being constantly photographed, so most of my photos, even at family gatherings, tends to be of things - flowers, decorations, cake, etc. For my free 8x10, I picked a random year, and found my pictures from my trip to Italy. Although my photographs didn't capture the magnificent beauty of the place, looking back at them was a great reminder of the area and the joy of spending time with my daughter.






YES! I can see this quilt as an island in Italy. Capri is the name of the island we saw, but we only spent one day there. And even though the other towns were not islands, I can imagine these shady streets, and sparkling swimming pools, the gardens, the courtyards, and picturesque sunsets when looking at this quilt.  And with a new name, this quilt is suddenly much more appealing. It's not a lake, it is an island, a resort town, or a coastline. The triangles jugging into the water easily look like the towns that are built on the cliffs overlooking the water. I might call it Amalfi Coast, which is more accurate name for the quilt layout, or Sorrento, which is where we stayed.



It is amazing how a simple change of perspective can change the whole feel of the quilt.

Linked to:
UFO Busting 24
Monday Making 
Oh Scrap!

"The only thing you sometimes have control over is perspective. You don't have control over your situation. But you have a choice about how you view it." Chris Pine

15 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Thank you for your comment. I read them all, and even if I don't reply due to the difficulties with Blogger, please imagine my response.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is exactly why I have trouble making a quilt in someone else's color scheme. I'm much happier going my own merry way and even if my color scheme is somewhat like the original, there are usually lots of changes too. I bet you will be celebrating when that quilt is finished. Your photo definitely has the orangey color in there too and lots of neutrals along with the blue water.

Kyle said...

I enjoyed hearing how you rediscovered or recreated your quilt. Changing your perspective has allowed you to keep going. It's a great reminder to all of us how to tackle a problem. Also, I've been fortunate have beent along the Amalfi coast and it's stunning scenery.

Janie said...

Getting color arranged just right can be a process.
Your work is beautiful and thanks for sharing your thinking about your quilt.

Lisa J. said...

Your quilt is beautiful so I'm glad you found your way to liking it.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It is always a journey to get a quilt just how you want it to be. Yours is really turning out lovely. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Daylilies are one of my favorite flowers. Mine are all just starting to bloom. :)

beth s said...

Your quilt is gorgeous. Great job

Allie-oops Designs said...

Oh I like your new perspective on this quilt - and I dearly love the quilt itself! Just gorgeous. That pic of the flower is amazing!

Tish Stemple said...

I love how you changed your perspective on this quilt and now you have a new found energy and out look on it! I think this happens all to often to quilts that land in UFO land. Something within us changes, not exactly the quilt itself, and how do we change us back to being in love with the project. Absolutely loved this!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

another test

Kaja said...

Isn't it interesting how the words clearly had such an impact on how you related to the quilt? I'm glad you found a way to re-imagine it (and love that photo of Italy).

piecefulwendy said...

Just read your post after Tish encouraged me to do so. How cool that your perspective shifted, all after getting an 8 x 10 photo free. I find it interesting how the things of our lives often mesh that way. When I read that you were seeing the island of Capri, I immediately was reminded of a book I read to my kids when they were little about the blue grotto. Of course, I thought -- that blue is a great reminder of the blue grotto! Haha. Thanks for sharing your post!

KaHolly said...

Well said! Beautiful quilt, too!

Tanya said...

Great name change! Great way to change your perspective!