Saturday, September 8, 2018

One Quilt Finished; Two Quilts Started


After I showed you the finished Unassuming Quilt, which somehow wound up being its official name, I knew that I could start a new quilt.  After some deliberation (there are so many quilts I want to make), I decided it would be Sweet Land of Liberty, which is a quilt along that is being hosted by Lori of Humble Quilts. That's a flag, not a hatchet, and has not been sewn down yet. I need to cut a bigger piece to turn the edges under.


That quilt would have been more than enough, because I do want to take my quilting time to finish some of the quilts I have already started.  But there was a sale at Keepsake Quilting and I bought this jelly roll without having a specific plan.  It's called Colonial. When I got it, I liked it even better than the picture, and decided to make a simple baby quilt out of it.

I considered making one of the quilts on my list, but in the end I decided to make it easy and make a simple bricks pattern, alternating lights and darks. It will be a rectangular checkerboard! I will have to supplement the jelly roll with lights from the stash, but that is all right if the quilt becomes a little bigger. I'm thinking it will make a nice baby/toddler quilt as my supply is running low.

I checked my spreadsheet to make sure I record the new quilts, and the finish, but it looks like my Unassuming quilt was so unassuming, it didn't even make it on the list as a started quilt! I was just making some blocks and playing and somehow a quilt showed up.  You would think that one finish of a quilt that wasn't even on the list and two starts would lower my percentage of finished quilts, but I had also forgotten to list my Valentine's Day swap quilts, so I am still at finishing 80% of the quilts I start. Of the quilts I finished, it took me an average of 262 days to make each one.

When I was in school, I would be thoroughly disappointed with an 80%, but as an adult, I think it shows me as a free spirit who doesn't have to follow anyone's rules, even mine. Quilting is fun for me, and it is going to stay that way.

Linked to:
Moving it Forward 
What I Made Monday 
Let's Bee Social
WIPs on Wednesday

We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.    

C. S. Lewis

10 comments:

Mcirishannie f/k/a quilt til you wilt said...

I stopped keeping track of starts. Often inspiration strikes unexpectedly and I must follow!

Allie said...

What a sweet little angel!! And I do love your new fabric. Most of my ideas never make it off the paper, so kudos to your 80%. Good for you on keeping quilting fun.....if I write them down, it's going to make them just another chore, and I don't want that.

Emily said...

Love the start to your unassuming quilt! And I am with you on not following anyone else's idea of success when it comes to finishing projects in your own time!

Katie said...

80% sounds fantastic to me...when used to measure finishing quilts! I'm trying not to start anything I don't have intention of finishing, but these linky parties are trouble! Your new fabrics are very pretty!

LONA said...

What a refreshing attitude toward quilting! It was just the freedom I needed to finish, start and jump start again!

Susie H said...

I would be thoroughly pleased with an 80% too! It's nice to forget the busy quilts sometimes and just let the unassuming ones and the simple patterned ones take the lead for a change. Great job!

Denise :) said...

I like your reassessment of the 80% ... and it's fitting with the quote from CS Lewis, too! What is that pretty flowering plant you've got pictured above the quote? It looks like some sort of low-growing ground cover. Spectacular flower! :)

Lori said...

I definitely had a LOL moment when you said it was a flag, not a hatchet!! Fantastic!!

Kate said...

I'm glad you cleared up the mystery of what she was holding, I was a bit mystified at first. To finish 80% of what you start is really, really good. Enjoy working on your new project.

Kim said...

Yes, quilting is all the more fun when we turn around, perhaps put one quilt on hold whilst we start another. It makes for a fun and happy creative journey. AND....if you finish 80%, then you are doing very, very well!