We interrupt regularly scheduled programming to bring you a very special Llama. I took a vacation from my vacation. I was running around thinking about all the things I wanted to get done before I went back to work, and decided I was going to take a pure vacation day that didn't entail getting ready to go back to work.
I watched this video.
I looked at my trash can. You know how I have been making circles out of my fabric trash. Well I can make other things besides circles too. It's strange that the colors washed out in these photos since I did take the quilts outside to photograph them and it is bright outside. (edited to add: I took new pictures which are slightly better and replaced some of the old ones.]
The fabric scraps were mostly used as is, straight out of the fabric trash can, although I did have to make some skinnier. I didn't make sure they were all the same size. I used double-side fusible web (Steam a Seam2) instead of liquid glue to hold down the fabric scraps, and used a stick glue to help hold down the pieces that overlapped.
Then I cut out the shapes and fused them to the background.
Then I stitched the strips down. For this quilt, I used the wavy line stitch on my machine to avoid having to change feet. Then I added decorative stitches.
I birthed the quilt and then I stitched around the shapes with dark thread and added the words and ribbon. It was a lot of fun.
Those of you who know me are probably wondering why I used a llama instead of an elephant. "Don't you know you can use any shape with this technique?"
Way ahead of you. In fact, I finished the elephant before the llama, only because I had to piece the batting for the llama. I used scraps for everything - including the design, the background, the backing, and the batting. The size of the pieces were dictated by the size of the scraps.
The thread was new. This technique takes several feet changes, but by the time I got to the llama, I became more economical.
The circle was surprisingly in the right place to be an eye.
The border ribbon is made out of jute and polyester. I thought it worked well with the elephant.
Both of these were a lot of fun to make.
Off the Wall Friday
Friday Foto Fun
Moving It Forward Monday - these quilts were a brief respite from making the Sweet Land of Liberty and the Colonial Bricks quilts.