Sunday, April 19, 2020

Mask Fail

My sewing time has been limited as I trained for my new job.  I passed the tests so I will be able to start working on Monday.  Since I didn't work for a whole week and a half before this, this was my full week of working.  Even though I should be used to it by now since that is usually how it is, it is difficult for me to transition from not working at all to working full time.



I made a new, polka-dotted, mask.  This one combines the two that I had saved for me. The yellow one is almost rectangular shape that uses four straps, and has darts on the top and bottom to add dimension.  The result still goes straight across the face from the nose, resulting in steamed glasses.  The animal fabric is more comfortable, but it has a seam in the middle which may leave holes for virus to get through and has more pieces to sew together. I thought that if I could cut the shape more curved, I might be able to make it without a center seam. I used the pattern for the almost rectangle, and cut out the curves based on the curved pattern.

This red one was a fail because although it looks like it fits well, the nose part falls down and does not secure over my nose, even when the wire is adjusted. Maybe I should have made the nose part a little wider.

I am sure that I could play with it some more and make a more gentle curve, but I have decided I need to stop finding the best design and just make some masks. 



2020:  Week 16 of 15 Minutes to Stitch


For my sewing activities, I packaged up almost of the masks I made and sent them off to my cousin.  I did just a little bit on my quote quilt and made a mask. Some weeks, I have been able to stitch more than 15 minutes a day. This time, I barely managed exactly the right amount.

15 minute days this week -- 7 out of 7
15 minute days this year -- 110 out of 110 days
Success rate  = 100%

Linked with:
Kate's Life in Pieces 15 Minutes to Stitch

9 comments:

Kate said...

You definitely did a lot of research on the masks, sorry you didn't find one that was perfect for you. Thankfully we only have to wear them when we grocery shop, though we may have to wear them when we go back to work. We'll see. It is hard to go from not working to working, hopefully that will get easier as you get into the groove again. Congrats for finding just 15 minutes each day, if nothing else for the stress relief.

Emily said...

I was actually relieved to read your subject line because I had major mask fail this weekend. I"m using a pattern with darts and I sewed them to the right side instead of the strong side, so now the seams are exposed. On 21 masks :( Oh, well, they should still work just not be as pretty.

Congrats on the new job!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I use one similar to the animal print model - from JenniferMaker's website (free with video tutorial as well as text). It is made with the center seam but has two layers and an optional third filter insert. My family likes them a lot and we all wear glasses (your steamed glasses peeve is mine, too). DH flattened some non-lead solder to use for the metal nose piece - works GREAT and fits the nose snugly. Hand wash - make more than one because they take a while to hang dry due to the layers (filter is removed first). Check my post here for more maker thoughts - https://quiltdivajulie.blogspot.com/2020/04/mask-making-notes.html

Kyle said...

I'm sure we have all made masks. I did my part, and made the simple pleated ones. I was overwhelmed with all the tutorials. Congrats on your new job!

tierneycreates said...

Well but who thought we'd have to start getting good at making masks? Hey you are making them and that is what counts and helping others :-)

Ann said...

Congratulations on your new job. I've found the closer I can get the masks to fit, the less it steams my glasses. So they are tighter than I originally liked.

Sandy said...

Masks. Ugh. I've made a total of one. It's ok...
Good for you, for trying out the different designs! I don't think any of them are perfect.

Michele Bilyeu said...

I've made and remade masks until now i just make my simplest one. No filters! Latest is they can cause respiratory distress in those with that tendency, even claustrophobia. So now, believe it or not, it seems that pantyhose is the best. Not the tummy control either! I'm tired of finding the research and trying it all.it Making covers right now maybe a few more really simple guy ones. Plain and black or blue prevail. Good luck on going back to work! Will you wear a mask?

Tanya said...

Yes... mask making is becoming a science! And art! I have one pattern that works for me (and one that did not) and I continue to make it over and over. I’m not very adventurous.