Friday, January 25, 2019
Vintage Holiday Progress
In my last post, I told you I was working on a new quilt, but I did not show it to you. It is hard to take photos when it is dark, and I work during the day, so I need to remember to take a photo during a break.
I easily found the solid red fabric I had bought to make my red and white quilts that have been on my wish list ever since I heard about the red and whites quilt exhibition. Apparently, it didn't occur to me to buy white as well, so I used the white that I am using for the ATC holder. I think the splotches on the fabric look snowy. Then I cut out the red applique. To keep the letters facing the right way, I fused the fusible to the back, and placed and pinned the pattern right side up on the front. Then I cut them out. It worked out quite easily without having to reverse anything.
I then cut out the white applique pieces and placed them on the background. I was worried that I might run out of the white fabric that I needed for the ATC holder so I chose another white for the applique.
I decided to use an embroidery stitch to applique the red background to the white background. I like how it looks like bushes from a distance and snowflakes close up. Then I fused everything in place. I see that the apostrophe was lost in the process.
The top is done now, so I need to sandwich, quilt and finish. I will not be making a pillow. Since I used the embroidery stitch, I wanted to use some supplies so I went through my lace and chose a couple. I plan to birth this quilt like I did the house one, and am thinking about edging the hanging with one of the laces for a more finished look.
This is the stack of library books that I had to return today because they were due before I got a chance to really read them. I think other people like to read more in the winter than the summer so they request books so I can't renew them. I've been busy with work, and sick with a cold, and the streets have been icy, so some of these are overdue.
Off The Wall Friday
UFO Busting #46
Oh Scrap! - it isn't a scrappy project, but I used scraps of fabric to make it