This is Lorna Mahon's pattern from Sew Fresh quilts. She offered it on her blog for free. She has many other dog patterns as well. She is also getting ready to host an Ugly Sweaters quilt-along.
I adapted this one - okay, it was partly an error that I decided to keep because I thought it would get a longer nose this way. Then I looked at Zeus and realized that I only see his nose when he is looking down but when he is looking up, I see his mouth and chin. So I gave the quilt dog a chin.
I quilted straight organic lines, like Lorna would do, but it looked like the Bad Dog picture in the Small Quilts photo album. He looked like he was in jail. I then quilted wavy lines between all the straight lines. I started on the right side, and didn't like the really wavy lines so I made them less wavy as I went to the left.
I bound it with a solid brown. To make sure it got finished this month, since I don't have hand work time, I sewed down the binding on both sides by machine. It isn't perfect, since I am not used to doing to sewing down the binding by machine (and I was sewing from the front where I couldn't see if the binding was catching on the back), but I managed to get it done, and pretty quickly too.
I showed you the back of the quilt yesterday. With so many finishes so quickly and limited space, the improv elephant quilt didn't get to stay on the bulletin board very long.
It is 17" x 17 3/4". To see other posts about this quilt, click on the Dog Gone Cute label under this post or in the sidebar. To see other posts about finished quilts, click on Quilt Reveal label under this post or in the sidebar. I think I finished more quilts this month than I did all of last year combined.
Wanda said that for each finished quilt, I can start three new ones. Who am I to argue with that? So I have picked out three quilts to start!
Shirts QuiltI received a stack of solid blue shirts from my brother-in-law and I have decided to make a quilt with these to give back to him. I was considering all kinds of quilt patterns to make but I recently saw the Gee's Bend documentary, and saw a quick glimpse of a Courthouse Steps quilt. The steps are on two sides instead of all four sides. It only uses two colors and there is very little of the other color. I figure I could use a pair of jeans for my second color, and make this simple quilt that showcases the shirts. I won't make it improv method though; I think he would prefer straight lines. This will be a pretty big quilt though, even if it means I have to buy more shirts, so it won't be a quick finish.
Adrinka Quilt 2016
Debby Kratovil is offering an Adinkra Quilt 2016 block of the month. I have decided to join her, because this quilt uses African fabrics in a beautiful way and I want to use my African fabrics. It is a simple quilt. Alternating blocks are pieced, and one design is appliqued every month. When I printed the pattern, it printed smaller than the size needed to make the block. This is probably my fault, since I didn't check to see if the printer was going to print actual size. I was going to consider reducing the size anyway, and now I didn't need to. I decided to use the smaller size. I am going to have to remember to make my alternating blocks smaller.
Scrap QuiltI am going to start cutting fabric for my next scrap quilt. When I pull out scraps for the Quilty 365, I wind up having to put the remaining scrap away. I think it would be better for me to trim these scraps down and get them ready for a scrap quilt. I am thinking Quilt Vortex, which lets the scraps be the size they are for the most part. I also want to start cutting fabric for the triangle quilt for my own bed. I haven't made a quilt for my bed, and although it hasn't bothered me before, it is bothering me now. Mostly because my Walmart quilt is shredding to pieces day by day.
Let's Bee Social #110