Saturday, January 23, 2016

Quilt Reveal: Winter Scene

I have a surprise quilt reveal for you today.

This quilt was made for the Seasons Quilt challenge at Persimon Dreams.  The challenge is to make a quilt, from start to finish, in one week.  Yes, you heard that right.  It takes me an average of two years to make a quilt from start to finish.I have a spreadsheet that says so, although it is not accurate since it does not include quilts that have not been finished yet, so the average is actually much higher.  I - someone who takes an average of more than two years to finish a quilt - made this one in three days.  This quilt will really help with my average, so thanks for this challenge!


In order to make a quilt this quickly, besides dedicating a lot of time to do it, is to go with the first idea that popped into my head. I drew a picture, found some fabric (mostly non-quilting), used up a lot of my recently-purchased fusible, and quilted them down. I folded under the front and folded over the back to finish it. I made the drawing on a back of an envelope and then remembered I now have a notebook for such things


I then put away the drawings and just used my memory and fabric to recreate the scene. I chose non-quilting fabric in an effort to use them up. I put the tree up before the windows, and messed up the perspective of the house. Oh well, that's what folk art quilting is all about!


I like the sparkly velvety tree fabric. It looks like snow sparkles.



I quilted down the applique.  The needle became gummy and the thread kept breaking, but I kept on going.  The quilting added a lot to the folk artsy nature of this quilt. I hand embroidered the faces on the people, the dog and the snowman.


The size of the batting scrap determined the size. After carefully trimming the batting, I trimmed and folded the  background fabric to the back to keep it from unraveling. I then trimmed and folded the backing up and machine sewed it down as a binding.


The fusible did not stick to the wool very well, hence the pointy toe.


I guess it is fitting that the winter weather keeps these pictures so dark.  I used white boards to back light it, opened the window blinds, used a flash camera, and auto-lightened the image with an image editing program. 

It's about 13 inches square.

Please vote for my quilt in the challenge.

Linked to:
Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River
Let's Bee Social #109 
Scrap Quilt Challenge

9 comments:

Michele Bilyeu said...

This is am amazingly wonderful quilt. A piece of art in all ways. Fabulous!!!

June D said...

Wow! A lot of detail in this little piece. Very nice! Glad I came by.

Kaja said...

I like this a lot and can't believe you made it in a week!

Jayne said...

This is so wonderful! A gorgeous winter wonderland!

Allie-oops Designs said...

That is absolutely darling - how brilliant! I love folk art and this is a perfect winter piece!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I loved hearing about your process...great results!

Laney said...

I love this sweet folk art quilt! Great details. Thanks for sharing your process.

Anonymous said...

I love your block and it was one of the ones I voted for. =)

em's scrapbag said...

Congrats on your one week finish. I love the folksy feel of this cute little quilt. Thanks for linking up.