I finished the portraits quilt I showed you in the last post.
I used the index card portraits as my inspiration, so I used background fabric that would result in the same size as the index cards.
I used fusible applique to add the body and the body parts: hair, whites of eyes, eyeballs, nose (optional), mouth, and clothing.
I decided to use the binding fabric as a border instead, and since it looked like a frame, I decided to birth the quilt instead of bind it.
I used embroidery stitches to stabilize the quilt instead of stitching in the ditch.
I added straight stitches in the border to mirror the look of the frame.
Finally, I used free motion quilting to secure all the fused pieces.
Although I had a bit of a panic when I thought the portraits would look like aliens instead of people, I settled on the idea and am really happy with how it turned out.
It took me 24 working hours to edit the video, since there were so many clips as it took me a little less than two weeks to make the quilt, and the software added extra, duplicate, and unnecessary clips.
15 Minutes to Stitch Week 34, 35, 36
I have been awful about reporting my 15 minutes to stitch progress this year. The good news is that I did stitch every day these three weeks and even finished a quilt - the Making Friends quilt I have been showing you on this post.