Sunday, September 10, 2023

Quilt Reveal: Making Friends

 

 I finished the portraits quilt I showed you in the last post.





I used the index card portraits as my inspiration, so I used background fabric that would result in the same size as the index cards.


I used fusible applique to add the body and the body parts: hair, whites of eyes, eyeballs, nose (optional), mouth, and clothing.

 

I decided to use the binding fabric as a border instead, and since it looked like a frame, I decided to birth the quilt instead of bind it.


I used embroidery stitches to stabilize the quilt instead of stitching in the ditch.


I added straight stitches in the border to mirror the look of the frame.


Finally, I used free motion quilting to secure all the fused pieces.



Although I had a bit of a panic when I thought the portraits would look like aliens instead of people, I settled on the idea and am really happy with how it turned out.



It took me 24 working hours to edit the video, since there were so many clips as it took me a little less than two weeks to make the quilt, and the software added extra, duplicate, and unnecessary clips.

 

15 Minutes to Stitch Week 34, 35, 36

 I have been awful about reporting my 15 minutes to stitch progress this year.  The good news is that I did stitch every day these three weeks and even finished a quilt - the Making Friends quilt I have been showing you on this post.



15 minute days these weeks --21 out of 21
15 minute days this year -- 183 out of 253 days
Success rate  = 72%
 
 
Linked with:
 15 Minutes to Stitch follow this link to see all the other people who participate in this challenge
 

5 comments:

Kate said...

It's such a fun quilt. Love the colors and the whimsy. Congrats on all the stitching time the last few weeks and on the final video. It's so cool that you are taking the time to learn something completely new. Looking forward to seeing what's up next on your to do list.

Joyful Quilter said...

Love the quilt and your color / fabric choices! Great video (sorry haven't watched the whole thing yet), lots of detail and I'm glad you didn't just demo but included your thought process with each step.

Rose said...

I watched the video just shortly after you posted it and totally loved it....I am sorry I did not leave a comment there. But I love every choice you made with this quilt. I loved the embroidery stitches you used to stablize the quilt...and love that you birthed it instead of doing a binding. That is the perfect border fabric...or for me it is. And I love the the girl on the bottom that has stars in her eyes. I think she is my favorite, but then I could never pick a second favorite cause I love them all.

Queeniepatch said...

Great work, great faces, great border, great quilt.
Now I’ll have a look at the video.

Tanya said...

Congratulations on a great finish! That looks like so much fun to make!