Thursday, March 21, 2024

Pinwheel Quilt Blog Hop

 Hello everyone! Welcome to my blog, High Road Quilter. It is my day to post my progress on my Pinwheel Quilt as a part of a blog hop hosted by Carol Swift.


Like the last quilt I made for a blog hop, I decided that since I have limited time to finish a quilt with my job and YouTube channel, I would rather make a big quilt top that I can quilt later rather than a small finished quilt. I have been making a lot of small projects for the Project Quilting challenges so I was due for a bigger quilt.

Dreaming about which quilt to make for this Give It a Whirl challenge was a lot of fun for me since there were so many wonderful choices.



I settled on a pattern called Warm Breeze on allpeoplequilt.com which is run by the people who make American Patchwork & Quilting. This website has a lot of free patterns that you can download and all you have to give them is your email address.


I have a neighbor who has pinwheels in their garden, and when the sun is shining, the light makes the pinwheels sparkle and with the breeze it makes it seem like the pinwheels are spreading their sparkle throughout the neighborhood. The little squares around the pinwheel makes me think of those sparkles.


This pattern is inspired by a quilt called Cartwheels from Gudrun Erla of GE Designs. In her quilt, the little squares in the outer border didn't go all the way around and I really like that because it looks like you can go through the spaces in the centers and go to the  next gardening space. Since this is my neighbor, the space could lead to my garden. 

I wanted a nice spring look for my pinwheels and have a couple of fat quarter packs I wanted to use so the decision making was pretty easy. I did add some more purple. Last year, I made quilts following the rainbow colors, red, orange, yellow, and teal, so I thought purple would help round that out.


I made this quilt as a four patch. This means that besides making four pinwheels, I also added the inner border and the outer border in sections so in the end, I only had one long seam to sew.


This quilt was a lot of fun to make. It is too big for my design wall which is in the corner of my sewing room between a door and a window, so I can't give you a complete view, but I will definitely give it a better glamor shot when it is done quilted.


As a bonus for sticking through this post, I am showing you a pinwheel quilt that I have finished.

There are a lot of people who are participating in the blog hop. They are listed in my last post, so be sure to check them out as well to see their Give It a Whirl submissions. Thank you Carol, for hosting this blog hop.

Linked with 

17 comments:

Danice G said...

Both pretty quilts. Great colors.

Calicojoan said...

Those are some fun pinwheels. Love your color combination. I had to laugh when I saw your design wall photo. It looks a lot like my wall most of the time. The kitties do not help the situation here either. But it works for us, regardless. :-)

Carol said...

Love the pinwheels! The blue is especially appealing to me--rich colors. Thanks for sharing!

Carol Swift said...

The different sizes of the pinwheels makes this a beautiful design. It turned out really pretty in your fabrics...love the purples! Your pinwheel runner is so fun with all the variety of pinwheels. Thanks for sharing Shelina!

Karrin Hurd said...

Both beautiful quilts! Thanks so much for sharing!

Quilting Gail said...

I love how the pinwheel quilt has 2 colours in each pinwheel!
Thanks for sharing!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

I love your pinwheel quilt - love your colors and fabrics more than the original version!! So pretty! xx

Kate said...

Very pretty! Purple and green is such a fun color combination. Your scarppy squares border does add a bit of sparkle. Congrats on a fun finish.

Sharon said...

Your quilts sparkles! Thanks for sharing.

For the love of geese said...

Your quilt is lovely, great choice of fabric.

Victoria Pietz said...

Pretty quilts and thank you for letting us know where to find the free pattern.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I've used this pattern before. Great project for this hop.

Michelle said...

Lovely quilts.

Nann said...

Pinwheels are such a lively unit! I like the pattern you chose and the spring colors.

Leah said...

Great pinwheels!

Moira said...

Cute quilt!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely quilt, and you're right, the little squares are indeed like sparks! I love the soft colors too, bravo for this pretty finish! Great tip for the piecing, and clever way to manage smaller strips.
This Friday I'm hosting TGIFF link party, feel free to share some finished projects! And thank you so much for sharing with P&Q ;)