Sunday, March 10, 2024

Quilt Reveal: Pajamas Doll Quilt

 


It's time for another Project Quilting reveal! The challenge of this week is Wearables.

Your project must be wearable, or have been made from previously worn items, or have another connection to clothes, shoes and fashion accessories.

I gave myself two choices: 

  1. Make a blouse that I have been planning to make for a very long time. I already have the pattern and the fabric chosen.
  2. Make a quilt out of all the pajamas I have been saving to make a quilt.
Since I hadn't made a blouse since high school, I didn't think I could handle the pressure of making it in a week, even though the pattern says it is easy to make. I am keeping it downstairs and hope to make it this year.

Making the pajamas quilt will help me reduce clutter in the sewing room since these flannel pajamas take up a more room than flat fabric would. 

I had seen a quilt in a show I watched recently that was a scrap quilt made entirely out of squares but it was set on point, which added a nice interest to the squares. I decided to do that.

So I cut up the pieces and laid out the blocks on the design wall. I am trying to use up all the fabric as I can and make a nice big lap quilt. Even though these girly fabrics would make a good gift for a girl, I don't feel comfortable giving a gift with my used clothes so I will have to use it or maybe I can give it to my dog Zoey.

I recorded videos as I was making this quilt to give instructions on how to make a quilt on point. I need to learn to be better about taking photographs as well as videos.

Cutting pieces out of clothing, even simple squares, takes longer than cutting them from a flat fold of fabric. Some of it is stretchy, and some of it is faded and I had to decide which part of the fabric to use. I soon realized that there was no way I was going to be able to make a big lap quilt, quilted and bound, by the Project Quilting challenge deadline, so I decided to make a small one out of the fabric I saved in case I needed to piece a block.



The smaller quilt also makes it easier to show in a video as I move pieces around for a tutorial. The squares finish at 1".

I pieced the smaller quilt, and then somebody stole an hour from me. Daylight Savings Time.

This meant I had only 15 minutes to finish it, so I quickly trimmed it and the backing, and sewed around the edges. I turned it right side out and didn't really take the time to carefully poke out the corners. I secured the edges and called it done.


The teal fabric in the photo above in the top left corner is the start of the Pinwheel quilt I will show you on March 21.

15 Minutes to Stitch 2024




I have been quilting every day this year.

15 minute days this week --7 out of 7 days
15 minute days this year -- 70 out of 70 days
Success rate  = 100%

3 comments:

Joyful Quilter said...

Cute little mini! Good choice, I hurt my brain trying to remember all the sewing "rules" for garments...although I'm glad I did it...looks terrible on but it was kinda fun to make (and turned out better than I thought), so don't give up on making the top.

Kate said...

Very pretty (and quick) finish for the quilting challenge. Love those delicate pinks. You've done so well at finding time to stitch this year. It's been fun to see how long I can maintain my 100% streak.

Nann said...

What a sweet little quilt! Our guild speaker last week talked about quilted garments. Hers were stunning (dupioni silk, etc.). I am tempted....