Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Quilt Reveal: African Garden

 

I finished the quilt formerly known as Tuxedo Vest. Since the name is based on the fabrics on what is now the background, I am changing the name to African Garden to refer to the applique which is now the focal point.


This was the quilt as I left it in 2021. It was supposed to be a simple baby quilt, but I don't know anyone who would want it as a baby quilt. I thought about keeping it, but I would need a lap quilt so my original plan was to add more columns and make it larger. But it didn't motivate me to continue.


When I finished the Portraits quilt and listed the chart that I include every time I start or finish a quilt, I realized that I needed to get some more finishes in order to meet my very easy goal of finishing more quilts than I start.

 

I pulled out the Tuxedo Vest quilt but kept it in my bedroom until I was ready to work on it in an effort to keep the sewing studio clean for the YouTube videos.

 

I bought a bunch of African fabrics and put them in the same staging area in my bedroom until I was ready to film them. Placing them together like that with the Tuxedo Vest quilt gave me the idea that I could use them to applique on the quilt.

 
I was originally thinking of adding just one or two motifs  to help the floral fabric and the stripe fabric work better together. I cut out a bunch of motifs to try them out on the quilt,  and I couldn't reject any of them, so I used all of the ones I cut.

I used my general technique to combine the applique and the quilting. I secured the edges of the appliue and then stippled the background.



 I tried to add a piece from an older quilt, but they are shiny, and I decided to use this piece from the stash of fabrics.  I think I have used some of the background fabric in another quilt so the continuity is there, and I can use scraps of this quilt in another quilt.


 

I made a YouTube video about the process if you are interested in seeing that.


I've made a lot of quilts this year but I need to finish at least one more to meet my goal of finishing more quilts than I start. One thing about keeping records, I know it is not a record year in terms of started or finished quilts.

9 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

I’ve been bad about visiting blogs, commenting and even blogging. I like the background colors it’s said that high contrast is good for babies.

Joyful Quilter said...

Wow, African Garden is beautiful! I didn't think it was that big until I saw the video. You are so creative!

Rose said...

I should have checked here before I suggested the name African Sunset...though it will always remind me of a sunset. But African Garden fits it best. It is just so beautiful.

Robin said...

Fabulous!!! You are so creative and this is spectacular. I love it when things are fun to make as well as beautiful.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

What a fabulous finish! It is amazing how you transformed that little baby quilt into a masterpiece!

Kate said...

Wow, it looks completely different! I didn't recognize the background quilt until you showed it on it's own. Bold, bright and fun finish!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nann said...

Wow! What a great rescue of the UFO and a great way to showcase those wonderful African prints. Bravo!

Michele Bilyeu said...

Amazingly gorgeous!!!