Monday, January 20, 2014

Improv Quilt


Sherri Lynn Wood at Daintytime.net is writing a book and she put out a call for people to make a quilt following her "scores" and 160 quilters agreed to participate .  I am one of 20 people who are assigned to do this quilt, and only 1 or 2 will be selected to be published in the book.  I'm sure some people will drop out, and some won't be able to finish the quilt on time, and it is possible that someone may make a quilt too close to hers, and someone won't understand the guidelines correctly, etc, but I am also sure she will get quite a good number of usable quilts that she will have to choose from.

It is challenging - usually with an improv quilt, the only person you have to please is yourself, but I want to make sure that my quilt fits what she wants.  But it is a lot of fun too, since it is making me try out techniques I haven't used before.

Although I have changed patterns, I haven't actually made a free spirited improv quilt.  It is scary, but by taking it one step at a time, I am managing to trust in the process and make something without a pattern. Except that I am combining at traditional pattern in an improv way.

Since this could go in a book, I cannot say anymore, nor can I show you the finished product until next year.  (Which means the end of the year recap could be short a quilt!)  I may show you what I am doing with the leftover scraps.


  

No comments: