Friday, December 26, 2014

Call to Participate

This is an old post I found in my drafts folder. I decided to publish it even though it is late, since it will give you a chance to get the history behind the quilt I will be posting.

Sherri Lynn Wood at Daintytime put out a call to participate in her new book on improv quilts, and I have signed up.  She has about 20 people who have signed up to participate for each quilt, and only one or two quilts are likely to be chosen to be in the book.  The person whose quilt is in the book will get a free book, and the others will be put in a drawing for a chance to get the book.  It is exciting to be a part of a project like this - to try out some new techniques. She gives some general guidelines, and we have to interpret them into fabric.

I am not going to be blogging about the process of making the quilt until we get the go ahead from Sheri Lynn, but I did want people to know about it and generally know that I am planning to participate.  I haven't cut fabric without a ruler. I've made a couple quilts without a pattern - just winging putting different shapes together, but I wasn't sure how to get those curved spaces in and still wind up with a flat quilt. She provided us with a great video that showed how easy it could be. I am excited about doing that part.

While that part seems freeing, it also seems restrictive.  Not because of anything she did or said, but how I feel about it.  I want a quilt that winds up looking appealing, and at least stand a chance of being good enough to be in the book.  I like those improv quilts that really show the free spirit of the quilter, but I've also read others complain about quilts that look like fabric throw up.   So I am waffling right now trying to decide what fabrics to use, and what direction I want to take this quilt.


On the other hand, it is also freeing knowing that there are so many people who are participating.  If my quilt turns out awful or if it somehow gets stalled, there are others whose quilts will be made, and will be better than mine.

No comments: