Sunday, August 7, 2022

Quilt Reveal: U S A


 I finished a small quilt today. I started it in July, but it took me a while to get it done. Lots of little pieces to sew down.

 

I am calling it USA for obvious reasons. It uses the trimmings from the Jazzy Blues quilt. I trimmed off seams but I basically left the trimmings the way they were and arranged them on the quilt. This means some pieces are skinnier and some are thicker. Some are shorter and some are longer. I glue basted the pieces on the sandwich, randomly without regard to the fabric design, and sewed them down, combining the quilting and the applique.


A patriotic quilt looked like it needed some red, so I added this dotted ribbon. I like how the zig zag stitch adds to the design on the ribbon. I also added a star motif on the edge of the white to help secure the white background.

 

At the last minute, I remembered to add a corner triangle for a label. I usually put it on the bottom left, but any corner will serve as a label.

 

I'm  participating in The Constant Quilter Wendy's Monthly Mini link-up.  Visit her blog for links to other quilters who have made small quilts.

Week 31


 I made the USA quilt this week. I didn't get a chance to trim the Jazzy Blues quilt. As usual the baby quilt gets the attention and gets "born" before the parent.

15 minute days this weeks --7 out of 7
15 minute days this year -- 167 out of 212 days
Success rate  = 79%

 



This week I changed up my recipes. Usually I make a lot of a one pot meal and freeze them in single serving portions. I can then defrost something frozen for each meal, and even though I only cooked one or two things each week, I can defrost something I cooked in a previous week for variety.

This week, I basically made some quick and simple mixes and combined them in different ways to have something different to eat each meal. Nothing was frozen.

 I want to document it here so I remember. I found a recipe for Bombay sandwich.  It is a very flexible recipe, basically a simple sandwich using a chutney for flavor, and vegetables for filling.  It usually uses potatoes which I think is interesting for a sandwich. The recipe I have linked shows a recipe for onion jam, and I made it for the first time. I think it is delicious although some of the mustard seed was bitter the first day. It mellowed out over time. I don't know why it is called jam, but the recipe makes plenty of "jam" so you can keep using it for more sandwiches, but also other foods.  I just baked the potato in the microwave, so it is really quick and easy to put together.  I cut just enough vegetables for the sandwich so they would be fresh (tomatoes and cucumber) and saved the rest for the next meal. I didn't have white bread so I used tortillas, which worked great. Sometimes I folded the tortilla like a taco and grilled it. I also had some leftover rice, so a couple of times, I made the ingredients with rice instead of a sandwich.

Then I had the bright idea to just have a baked potato with the onion jam. I added some black beans for protein.

When I ran out of the onion jam, I pulled out my recipe for pita and combined it with another recipe that used cabbage. Basically coat some chickpeas in flour (I used chick pea flour) and roast them. Then lightly cook the red cabbage with onions and tomatoes with some spices. Spread hummus on the pita and add the roasted chickpeas and vegetables. I didn't have pita, so I used rice and tortillas again. This tastes great with feta cheese.

I also had some enchilada sauce. I used the leftover chickpeas and used that as a protein for enchiladas. I also added leftover black beans. So mostly I could mix and match all of the ingredients and have something different to eat every meal. I was able to use up the things I had made, and by adding something different to it, or omitting something, was able to keep each meal tasting different.

4 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

You have stitched all those small parts together neatly.
What creative way to use your 'mixes'. Everything sounds yummy!

Rose said...

Your mini quilt is a winner! You are so creative. I think I used to be more so...sure not now. The onion jam sounds interesting. I I would probably like it. If I smell an onion, I am instantly hungry.

Tanya said...

I wish I could come for dinner!

Barb said...

great mini and we could all use a little reminder that the USA is a great country to live in.
I admire your approach to cooking!