Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Quilt Reveal: Tropical Fish Quilt

 


I started this Tropical Fish quilt for the July blog hop, but I wasn't able to finish it before my post date. Since then, I have finished quilting and binding it, and it is now ready for its grand reveal.



The fish is made with free cut applique pieces, made out of fabric scraps from some of my other projects. I used school glue instead of fusible to secure it. I combined stitching down the applique pieces with the quilting. 


I surrounded the fish with half square triangles. I could have used scraps for this part, but I was eager to cut into my bright and colorful fabric. I used the two at a time method to make the half square triangles. I cut the squares larger so I didn't have to deal with eighths, but didn't bother to trim the blocks. Instead of making the center panel fit the size of the blocks, I made the borders first, and then cut the center panel the size of the blocks.



It was fun to make this quilt with the colorful fabric and the free motion quilting.




I wound up with four hours of video, even though I didn't video each step, like the binding. I was able to reduce it down to a more reasonable size by cutting out lots of it, and speeding some of it to 400%. Speeding the video caused my editing program to crash several times, and I had to break down the video into two pieces to get it to work without crashing.

I am getting pretty good with finding workarounds to problems and am enjoying the editing process.




According to my spreadsheet, I have finished 160 quilts in my lifetime. I still have to work on finishing more quilts than I started, but I have finished a lot of quilts this year.

Linked with:

5 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

colorful indeed!

Kate said...

The finished fish is really fun, very bright and vivid. Wow 160 quilts finished. That's impressive!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

I love looking at fish and yours is gorgeous! Love that bright fabric and the free form design. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/09/11/wednesday-wait-loss-397

Rose said...

I have not finished near that many quilts and I have been quilting way, way longer. But most of my quilts are pretty good sized....so I guess that accounts for some of my time. I keep wanting to make some small projects, and if you look at my blog you will see I am quilting my orange peel quilt. It is approximately 56 inches square so it is smaller than normal.

I just love how you freehand things...used to I think I might could have done it but seems like I want things just so, and even though I want it that way, it never is so why can't I just do some fun things? Like your little quilt you did of the women from your index cards. I so loved that...or have you heard of Freddie Moran? If not, google Freddie Moran quilts and then click images....I think you will love her quilts.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Oh, such a cute little quilt! I love your fish, and the video is great! Thank you for sharing!