Sunday, January 12, 2025

Quilt Reveal: Al-Buraq

 The Project Quilting Challenge this week is Mythical Creatures. The first thought that came to my mind was Pegasus, but when I found pictures of a winged horse with a face, I immediately gravitated towards the Al-Buraq.  One of my rules for this challenge, since there is only a week to make it, is to not overthink any decisions and to just keep going with the flow.  Decision-making takes more time.

So I present to you, Al-Buraq. I love the metallic border that frames my creature and I think for a mythical creature it is a successful project.  Looking at this picture right now, the face reminds me of that photo that looks like a beautiful woman and an old woman at the same time. My quilt doesn't have that feature, I don't think, it just reminds me of that. My creature doesn't have an attractive face, but that wasn't a requirement for me.  Poor creature has to run against the wind, so there is bound to be some damage from that.


With my just in time inventory, I finished this quilt just in time to post for the Project Quilting Challenge

Al-Buraq Quilt by Shelina Virjee

This quilt fits the requirements of the finished projects in that it has applique, three layers and the edges are finished.  Just all of my quilts, though, I reserve the right to come back to do more. And right now, this quilt is calling for more.  I do want to add more quilting on it, and maybe some other embellishments like beading.


Here is the link to the other Project Quilting challenge entries.

3 comments:

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

I enjoy all the details you put into your project. And I appreciate that you don't let decision-making suck up all your time. Congratulations on your finish!

Danice G said...

I had never heard of the Al-Buraq. Your quilt looks very pretty.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing your PQ16.1 entry in time to post to the Link Party! Sometimes that is the biggest challenge, isn't it?