Sunday, October 23, 2022

Jazzy Blues Progress

 

After a long lull without sewing, I have been making progress on the Jazzy Blues quilt. This quilt is a part of a quilt along, named Aunt Daisy. All the blocks have been released and many people have already finished their quilts. There are a lot of beautiful colorways showing up on my Facebook feed, and only a couple with alternate layouts.

Last week, I spent a fifteen minute session making a trial equilateral triangle block. I have a acrylic template set to help me make them, but don't have directions. I figured it was probably already taking the seam allowance into consideration, but I decided to make it big and trim if I needed. It worked out perfectly (except for the trimming I didn't need).

 

 

So this week, I made a whole bunch of triangle blocks. I didn't make the number required because I wanted to try out different layouts and decide before making these blocks.

I need to make more of these, and also some in the contrasting colorway. Then I played with some choices. I don't think I will ever have this many different blocks available so it is fun to play around and see what kinds of designs they can make.



Did you notice that my design choices have 25 components?

That number doesn't include all the blocks that I made. The actually block has more components.


This is more like the actual layout, except I haven't made the alternate colorway for the equilateral triangle blocks yet. Can I just say that I am so impressed with the original designer of this block? There are 49 pieces and so many different types of components.

Plus, this block is so big that I don't really have a good place to lay it out. I put it on top of the crate, but then it isn't easy to photograph it or look at the layout. For some reason, my desktop isn't tiling the background picture so I will have to figure out a different way to see how this will look in a quilt.

2022: 15 Minutes to Stitch Weeks 40, 41, 42

 


 

I worked on Jazzy Blues this week, although I did take a look at the Olympics quilt. I am not going to meet my goal of finishing more quilts than I start if I don't finish two quilts this year. I might finish another couple of quilt tops in the flimsy closet instead, but the Olympics quilt is closest to being done.

15 minute days these weeks --8 out of 21
15 minute days this year -- 215 out of 296 days
Success rate  = 77%
 

Linked with Life in Pieces: Stitching Stuff


 

9 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

fascinating layouts every one!

Ivani said...

The the actual layout is beautiful. Happy stitching.
That autumn tree is gorgeous!!

Queeniepatch said...

The magic of patchwork! Oh, I bet you had a lot of fun playing with the components.
That is one impressive tree - it looks as if it is on fire!

Kate said...

Those are going to be some gorgeous blocks. I really like your fabric choices for this project. You've done pretty well with finding time to stitch this year, over 75% is pretty remarkable when you think about that and then think about how many other things you have going on.

Jasmine said...

This is looking beautiful! I love how you are playing with the layout too.

Rose said...

Love Zoey!!! You cannot go wrong with the components to Aunt Daisy. The first and third are my favorites, but I do love them all.

Tanya said...

Wow! What fun! That would be a fun block to hand a bunch of friends and not give them instructions and see what each person came up with!

Jeanne said...

Oh, fun rearranging! The last version catches my eye :)

Rose said...

Happy Thanksgiving!