Saturday, March 4, 2023

Quilt Reveal: Mended Heart

I am making a baby size quilt for the Dust Off an Old Quilt Book blog hop which starts this upcoming week. I will be sharing it on Thursday. But it means I don't have much time to work on the Project Quilting challenge. I promised myself that I would only participate if I can make something very quick and simple. Before I saw the challenge, I was thinking about an Artist Trading Card (ATC).

Then the Project Quilting challenge for this week was announced. Sew Not a Square. I figured that would be easy because it takes extra work to make something a real square. My elephant quilt last time was a very long rectangle. I don't usually dictate the size of my improv quilts. It is the size it wants to be.

Then I remembered that I had already posted the hearts that I made from a scrap sandwich. How cool would it be if I met the challenge before I even knew what it was! I quickly checked the date, and found that I had posted it last week. That doesn't meet the criteria that it has to be made during the challenge week. Bummer.

 

I dug around on the sewing table. I know I had recently thrown away a bunch of scraps and was hoping I hadn't thrown away the scraps from the hearts. I hadn't. Sometimes being lazy works in my favor.

 I could have made an ATC from these scraps, but I decided to make another heart. That way, I wouldn't have to worry about getting a specific size from the result.

So I cut and "pasted" by sewing scraps together to make a coherent whole.




To the back as well as to the front.



 

Here is the finished project along with its inspiration.

 
While I was at it, I made the front legs of Zou the Elephant a little bit longer and added a few other pieces.

It feels strange to call Mended Heart a finished quilt on my list of quilts since it is so small but since it is officially a quilt for the challenge, I have to add it. The other two hearts are incorporated therein and won't get their own finish row even though they were finished on a different date.

4 comments:

Joyful Quilter said...

Great improvise. I really thought there would be lots of hexies with this week's challenge, but I've been really impressed with all of the free form designs I've seen.

Kate said...

Your improv hearts are really cute. Congrats on finding a quick and easy project for the challenge.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow! That's taking scrap busting to the extreme, Shasta. LOVE it!!

PersimonDreams said...

cute! Way to make it happen ;)