Sunday, February 15, 2009

Reading

I found this tag on Sweet P's blog, and since I wanted to talk about this book anyway, it seemed appropriate.

Here are the rules:
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open to page 56.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 2 to 5 sentences, along with these rules.
5. Don't dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual book. Pick the CLOSEST!
6. Tag five other people to do the same!

Look at me. I've found time to read! I took it in to work one day thinking I might find time to read it during a lunch break that I might get someday. The coworkers thought I was crazy reading a book like this. But my blog readers know that my reading selection is very eclectic.

I got all excited because the fifth sentence is intriguing: "If you think something fishy is going on here, you're right." The next two sentences take away the mystery.

But the reason they [the Inuit - indigenous people of the subarctic] don't need to evolve the lighter skin necessary to ensure sufficient vitamin D production is refreshingly simple. Their diet is full of fatty fish -- which just happens to be one of the only foods in nature that is chock-full of vitamin D.


I'm not done with it, but it is interesting how certain illnesses go hand in hand with certain survival mechanisms.

I've had a sore throat lately, and am hoping that this book isn't one that is frequently picked up by people who are already sick, sharing their germs with me. I think my sore throat started before I started reading the book, and it probably has to do with allergies or talking more than I am used to, so hopefully I'm not the one sharing any germs with the next reader.

No comments: