Sunday, March 7, 2021

Quilt Reveal: Crazy Project





This week's Project Quilting challenge is to make a quilt inspired by crazy quilts. It came at a very opportune time since I had spent the week cutting up two wool jackets. The jackets were very well made and had lots of interfacing and sturdy features which made them good quality suit jackets to wear, but not really good candidates for wool gathering.  I now understand why wool is so expensive and come in small pieces. Next time I will look for skirts and pants.

The lining of the jackets were shiny and made me think they would make great crazy quilt material. I had three colors - two of them are shades of brown and are very similar to each other. I also have a fancy skirt with a lining which was a nice color to offset the browns. The fabric is slippery, but I thought if I made an improv crazy quilt, it would not matter if the lines weren't perfect.  The finished quilt only has one shade of brown. In the end, I decided I like the pleats and do not want to quilt them down.


There were several ideas, but my main focus was to keep it simple and easy, maybe a bar quilt with machine embroidery on the seams. I started on Saturday and since it is due on Sunday,  I just sewed them together, not caring if I got pleats or puckers. I figured I would add some stitching over them and no one would be the wiser. I also had a bald spot which I covered with applique.

While I always finish my Project Quilting quilts (it is a rule), sometimes it is a challenge. This week, I decided to be kind to myself and use the extras to make a small piece for the challenge instead. Big bars wouldn't be interesting in a small quilt, and since the edges fray easily, and to make it different from a bar quilt, I decided to making strings, cutting them up, and re-piecing them into three rows.

It is about 5" x 7".

2021:  Weeks 10 of 15 Minutes to Stitch


 

I spent my week washing and destructing two wool jackets. I also have two skirts and a blouse that will be deconstructed eventually.


15 minute days this week --7 out of 7
15 minute days this year -- 66 out of 66 days
Success rate  = 100%
 


Linked with:

15 Minutes to Stitch

Monday Making 

Friday Foto Fun

9 comments:

Kate said...

A very fun little mini. Adding the decorative machine stitching was a good idea, much faster. Congrats on all the stitching time last week. Happy stitching this week.

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Like your brown and pink quilt..so pretty. Have a great day!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's a LOT of stitching in a little bitty quilt!! :o))

Kyle said...

I had to smile at your crazy mini. It made me think that underneath those well made and tailored jackets there was a crazy free spirit longing to get out. Love that you kept the pleats.

Rose said...

I like this. I need to start something like this. But I have so many things started. And so much I need to do and here I sit.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I am so proud of you, not only for finishing your challenge, but for using those slippery fabrics that I always steer clear of. Your little mini is the perfect "crazy" quilt.

Kim said...

Your little crazy quilt is lovely. Those fabrics and colours marry well together. I actually love the puckers and pleats. They give the quilt lovely texture. A perfect finish!

PersimonDreams said...

What FUN! I agree - I like the pleating ;)

Tanya said...

Good for you for getting to use all those neat machine stitches too. My machine doesn't have any decorations though the machine I bought for California use did. I never figured out a good place to try them though... A small crazy quilt. I'm going to remember that!