This week's Project Quilting challenge is to make a quilt inspired by crazy quilts. It came at a very opportune time since I had spent the week cutting up two wool jackets. The jackets were very well made and had lots of interfacing and sturdy features which made them good quality suit jackets to wear, but not really good candidates for wool gathering. I now understand why wool is so expensive and come in small pieces. Next time I will look for skirts and pants.
The lining of the jackets were shiny and made me think they would make great crazy quilt material. I had three colors - two of them are shades of brown and are very similar to each other. I also have a fancy skirt with a lining which was a nice color to offset the browns. The fabric is slippery, but I thought if I made an improv crazy quilt, it would not matter if the lines weren't perfect. The finished quilt only has one shade of brown. In the end, I decided I like the pleats and do not want to quilt them down.
There were several ideas, but my main focus was to keep it simple and easy, maybe a bar quilt with machine embroidery on the seams. I started on Saturday and since it is due on Sunday, I just sewed them together, not caring if I got pleats or puckers. I figured I would add some stitching over them and no one would be the wiser. I also had a bald spot which I covered with applique.
While I always finish my Project Quilting quilts (it is a rule), sometimes it is a challenge. This week, I decided to be kind to myself and use the extras to make a small piece for the challenge instead. Big bars wouldn't be interesting in a small quilt, and since the edges fray easily, and to make it different from a bar quilt, I decided to making strings, cutting them up, and re-piecing them into three rows.
It is about 5" x 7".
2021: Weeks 10 of 15 Minutes to Stitch
I spent my week washing and destructing two wool jackets. I also have two skirts and a blouse that will be deconstructed eventually.