Sunday, February 12, 2023

Circles and a Brand New Project

 

 

I had a productive week working on three quilts. I sewed the latest batch of circles with the last batch(es).

 I had a question about the order I put the circles. It is chronological, but very loosely. I try to put the big circles in a way that will balance with the other big circles in the quilt. That is why the big circle that was not made in this batch but is on the right. The circles on the left were made in previous batch(es) and the ones in the middle were the latest batch. I don't try to make them chronological in each batch. I am allowed to change the circles around if I want to separate certain colors, shapes, etc. 

Generally, I would be making one row at a time, but because of the big circle, I decided to make them by columns. I want to be able to sew these together so that the circles don't get lost. I do have a box to put them in, but putting them together as I go along keeps them in somewhat chronological order.

This is only half a row. I will add more circles as I make more batches before I attach to the mother ship.


 I pressed the Jazzy Blues triangles. I still need to trim them. I will count them after I trim them. I want to make sure that I keep making progress on this quilt.


I've been invited to join the Dust Off an Old Quilt Book Blog Hop which is coming up in March. You can join too. 

I have decided I should get started so I can be ready by my blog hop day. Last time I showed a finished quilt top but it wasn't quilted. I thought about quilting the same project because having that deadline will make progress on it, but I decided that the blog hop readers deserved a new quilt. Hopefully using a jelly roll will make it a quick finish.

2023: 15 Minutes to Stitch Week 6



I had seen these little buttons that you record words so that your dog can communicate with you and I got them about the time I got Zoey. I want better communication with my dog. I have been pushing them and getting her to push them but she hadn't made the connection that she can communicate with me using them.
 

After my post last week, Zoey pushed the "Love You" button. It might have been an accident, but I gave her attention, scratched her ears and gave her a treat. She went back and pushed it again, and she got the same treatment. I think she made the connection, and she ran to test the "Go outside" button. So I let her out. She has been pushing the "Go outside" button all week and she definitely understands what the buttons mean. The "Love you" button got pushed under some furniture so she didn't use it during the week. I am so proud of her. I have more buttons I can use, but I wanted to make sure I didn't rush it.

I worked on three quilts this week!


 
15 minute days this week --7 out of 7
15 minute days this year -- 42 out of 42 days
Success rate  = 100%
 
 
Linked with:

10 comments:

Marti said...

You've got a lot done this week! I like to visit the Dust Off an Old Quilt Book hops. It always makes me thumb through my old books and see what I can make. Can't wait to see what you are making.

I have seen those talking buttons for dogs but wondered if they would just scare our Mia. I'm glad they are working for Zoey, especially the Go Out button.

Queeniepatch said...

I like how your Circles quilt is coming along. The circles themselves are interesting, and the placement is very good. I wonder if it had been as good if you had done it chronologically...
The new jelly roll quilt will be interesting, too. Are the prints in muted colours? It will be a soft and warm quilt for sure.
Enjoy it.
What a clever doggy you have!

Kyle said...

Your circles continue to be so interesting. I'm not sure keeping them perfectly in chronological order would really matter. Maybe more size, color, and shape would keep it balanced. Interesting about the dog communication buttons. Who knew.

Susan said...

I'm amazed at what you are doing with the buttons and your dog.

Nann said...

That blog hop sounds like fun! I have so many quilt books and I enjoy paging through them.

Kate said...

Love that you are teaching Zoey to communicate. I've seen videos on Instagram, but don't anyone that's tried it. Good luck with your blog hop project. You did well last week on finding time to stitch. Fingers crossed this week is as good.

Rose said...

Way to go, Zoey! I am loving how you are putting the circles together.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

You are such an inspiration!! I hope I can keep my daily circles going with you as inspiration!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Looks like a great scrap quilt book! That dog communication buttons system is amazing!

Tanya said...

The word buttons sound fascinating and I am in awe to think that one can actually teach a dog to "talk"! Do keep giving us updates on how Zoey learns. It is hard enough to get our dog, John, to understand us let us alone hope that he would make the effort to communicate back! Wait... His growl does get across his message...