Sunday, February 19, 2023

Quilt Reveal: Zou

There are a total of 6 challenges for Project Quilting. Usually at this part of the Project Quilting challenges, I participate in fewer of them, so I didn't know how long they last.  I've been doing better this year because I decided to add a challenge to the challenge. Make a quilt you already want to make. That is how I managed the red and white quilt I made last time.

This week, the challenge is to make a quilt that is inspired by a book that I've read. I've been told that twisting the rules is a way to show off my creativity.


The challenge immediately made me think of this elephant. I had watched the Mary Fons video. She had given a link to an Artificial Intelligence website that makes drawings for you. I played with it quite a while and it came up with this drawing of a patchwork elephant. It had five legs, and when I asked it to keep going and complete the drawing, it just added a different elephant made in a different style.

Anyway, making this patchwork elephant is on my list of quilts to make. And I had pink fabric on the table from the pink challenge and I had been using pink fabric for the Dust Off an Old Book blog hop project, so a pink elephant sounded good.

All I had to do was find a book about pink elephants. There were several, but I needed something that as big enough to be a novel and quick to read. Here's the book I found:

  
It's called Murder of a Pink Elephant by Denise Swanson. I was able to get a digital copy from the library so I could get started reading right away. I spent a lot of time reading it, but then I read the fine print of the quilting challenge, and nowhere did it say I had to actually finish reading the book. I like reading cozy murder mysteries so I will finish it next week. I have a quilt to make.

It turns out that I didn't have a lot of scraps from the Dust Off blog hop because it used pretty much all the jelly roll strips, so I clipped off some fabric before I started piecing the back.
 

 I cut some small scraps and arranged them on a fusible. I made it in three pieces.

I pressed them down and cut out the shapes. It is always so ugly and scary at this point.


I pieced the background from scraps and placed the elephant on them.
 

 Sandwiched and quilted. 


Filled in some missing spaces and chose the binding.
 

I started hand stitching the binding, using a running stitch like I did last time, but for some reason, I had to stitch each stab at a time, so I switched to machine stitching to save time.

I just looked up names for elephants, and found out that the Japanese word for "Elephant" is zou 蔵. I call Zoey, "Zoey Zoo Zoo" sometimes so that sounded like a fun name for this elephant. I present to you, Zou.
 


2023: 15 Minutes to Stitch Week 7

 
 
I worked on Zou this week. I finished the Boundless top and have started piecing the backing.
 
15 minute days this week --7 out of 7
15 minute days this year -- 49 out of 49 days
Success rate  = 100%
 
Linked with:
 

15 comments:

Joyful Quilter said...

Cute! Love the eyelash. What is the name or link to the AI website? Sounds like it would be fun to play with.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

What a cute elephant, and what better color than pink!

Quilting Babcia said...

Looks like this was fun from beginning to end, with a delightful finish!

Robin said...

Absolutely darling. You do the funnest things.

Warm Quilts said...

How precious! Thank you for sharing your inspiration and sequence with photos.

Fiona said...

I love your elephant.... so much texture...
Hugz

Sally Trude said...

Yup, the eyebrow is totally awesome and the elephant is adorable. However, I must take issue with your approach of using Project Quilt to make quilts that you want to make because it is too smart and emotionally mature.

PersimonDreams said...

I adore this! Elephants are my favorite!

Queeniepatch said...

Fabulous! I love the design and the colour scheme.

Susan said...

Wonderful! So glad you found a book to match. My first thought was the children's book about Elmer the Elephant, because the colors the computer gave you are a lot like him. =) There are 17 books and the original has been reprinted many times.

Rose said...

I love her!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Too cute!!! You could've went with the "Elmer the Patchwork Elephant" series, too--children's books. Love those eyelashes!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEE?!?! It works!!! You added your own spin on the challenge and ended up with an amazing project (and a new book to read.)

Kate said...

Your elephant is so cute! What a great back story for that mini quilt. Congrats on all the stitching time to date. You've done so well with all your metrics so far this year. Hopefully this week has been as good.

Tanya said...

Well done! And yes, you've got the Japanese right. It is interesting to me how you get your shapes made with pressing onto fusible materials. It sounds like a good way to put small scraps to use.