Monday, October 7, 2019

Another Weekly Recap


I went to the main library for Family History Day and this artwork was in their rotating collection in their gallery. It looks like it would make a great quilt.  I've often thought about a quilt like this, based on a painting I have at home or log cabins, but this piece makes me think of making it with fusible instead of piecing. It is made in layers.



All of the books pictured here are quilting books. It was hard for me to tear myself away to get back to the genealogy lecture. I did gather a stack to take home with me, as many as I could reasonably carry to my car without tripping.

15 Minutes to Stitch: Week 40

 I don't have anything picture worthy to show you, but I did press the charity quilts and add the borders.

As part of my cleaning process, most of my time has been spent cutting up some shirts that will be used for a quilt.  They take up too much space in their current state. I figured if I could at least cut them down and throw away all those extra bulky bits like collars, buttons, plackets, hems, seams, cuffs and yokes, they will be easier to store. I have a batch where the bulky things are cut out, but this week, I cut the remaining shirts into squares.  10" finished and the smaller pieces are cut into squares that can be combined to make into 10" finished squares.


15 Minute sessions of stitching this week: 7 out of 7
15 Minute sessions of stitching this year: 241 out of 279 sessions
Success Rate: 86%

Linked with:
15 Minutes to Stitch

15 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It looks like there are duplicates of many titles there at your library. We have a very puny section of quilting books at my town's library and I think that is due to the librarian having no interest in quilting.

Kate said...

The artwork would make a very interesting quilt. I've not checked out the quilting section in our library in a while, but last time they didn't have very many books in it. Congrats on all the stitching and organizing time. Hopefully you've been able to zen out and enjoy both activities.

Allie said...

You're right, that would make a fantastic quilt!!!!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh yes that would make a fantastic quilt! And I love our library, but we have never had multiple copies of ANY quilt book in our stacks! You are a lucky one.

Diane Harris, Stash Bandit said...

You're right, this would be great quilt inspiration! And in regard to the shirts, you made me LOL because I keep thrifting shirts to take apart but after they're washed they languish in a pile. And by the way, when I do take them apart, I'm weird and I keep all the buttons. It's a sickness!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You're so disciplined in your approach to sewing (and record-keeping!); you inspire me. Yes, that painting would make a LOVELY quilt.

Rebecca said...

Oh my... when I saw the start of the post my first thought was" what a lovely quilt" And then you mentioned that it was an artwork I thought of course it is A lot of quilts are art works/ lol
Your right it would make a lovely quilt. I wonder how many quilts have been inspired by "works of art" outside of a challenge.

Emily said...

Library quilt book sections are the best! Hope you found lots of good ones to take home!

dutchcomfort said...

That artwork is amazig and would make a wonderful quilt indeed!! We don’t have multiple copis of quiltbooks in our library and more and more libraries are being closed which is a sad thing!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

That really would make a fantastic quilt. And, you must have a good library if you have that many quilt books available!

Preeti said...

I agree that it looks like a quilt pattern, showcasing all solids or ombre fabrics maybe. As a newbie quilter I notice patterns and potential quilts everywhere. Recently, watching a movie promo, I was completely oblivious of the leading pair making love. I was staring instead at the quilt in the scene. The quilting lines were very far apart. Paul just laughed at me.

Kyle said...

New ideas pop up everywhere!

Roxanne said...

Great quilt inspiration at your library, both with art and books! Grunge fabrics would be another good fabric for it.

Kaja said...

You are lucky that your library has such a great selection of quilting books. I agree that you could make a fantastic quilt along the lines of that artwork and fusing the bits would be one good way to approach it.

Angie in SoCal said...

What a good idea to cut up those shirts into squares that will equal a 10" one. I've made a quilt top (well actually it's in my UFO pile) that is a layered. Some day!