Sunday, October 18, 2020

Sunshine in Winter

I promised you a photo of my "new" coffee table on my porch and here it is. I love it. It is just the right size and the drop leaves work perfectly. The porch is a perfect place to sit and chat outdoors in a social distanced manner.

Last week, I told you I've been making more Half Square Triangles for the Sunshine in Winter blocks. The picture is blocks I made in previous batches. I don't have the pattern in front of me, but I think what you see here is the whole quilt, except that each block is bigger because it is made with a bunch of blocks.

I got the bright idea that if I cut the squares the right size, I wouldn't have to trim the HSTs  when they were made. I was close, but I still wound up having to trim them. Either I cut a fraction of an inch too big or I sewed them with too small a scant quarter inch. For now, I am still working on trimming this batch of blocks. I have plenty more batches to perfect my sewing. 

Because it is white, I will probably be making a wall hanging instead of the humongous (bed) size of the original pattern. I will have to figure out how to reduce the size while maintaining the look of the quilt.

2020:  Weeks 42 of 15 Minutes to Stitch


I spent my week trimming HSTs. I also bought some more white fabric to make sure I had enough for this and other quilts I have that use a white background, like the 1857 quilt and the Elephant Parade.


15 minute days this week -- 7 out of 7
15 minute days this year -- 238 out of 292 days
Success rate  = 82%

Linked with 

15 Minutes to Stitch

7 comments:

Kim said...

That is a great coffee table for your porch. Love you can drop the sides down. You have a big porch to sit and chat to passerbys. Those Sunshine in Winter blocks do make one think of bright, cheery sunshine. They will cast beams of sunshine into your winter days.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a perfect table for your porch. I love drop leaf tables and have 2 myself.

That red leaf looks real comfortable among the grass and clover.

Kate said...

Very sunny yellow and white blocks. Looking forward to seeing all your design decisions for this project. Hope you do as well this week on the stitching time.

The coffee table looks very nice there on the porch. I wonder if people will do more porch socializing post pandemic?

Quiltdivajulie said...

GREAT table - and I feel your "pain" over trimming HSTs. It is so worth the effort but it does take time and it does get boring.

Kyle said...

It's nice to repurpose a piece of furniture. The table looks great. Trimming hsts is the only way for me to get them right. It seems like a lot of work, but the block is sure the right size when done.

Tanya said...

Trimming is a pain but I find that I absolutely have to do it. Maybe my machine foot isn't a true 1/4 inch?

Love your table! We have enjoyed chatting with friends outside too but it is getting too cold for that now.

Debra Dixon said...

I hope the pandemic revitalizes porch chatting. If so, you have a good setup.

Sunshiny yellow is such a favorite color!