Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Lego Rails and Improv Rails




When I am cutting the scraps for the Four Rails quilt, sometimes the fabric is not long enough to cut into a 4 1/2" strip.  When that happens, I have been cutting it into whatever length rectangle I can get out of it. I sewed them together to each other so I wouldn't confuse these pieces with the rails that are just the right size. These will be subcut to 4 1/2" pieces and used as rails.

When I first started cutting these fabrics, I was disappointed with the lack of variety and pizazz in the scraps, but now that I have gotten farther into the scrap shoe box, I really like how this quilt is turning out. The scrap shoe box doesn't seem any emptier, but the scrap trash can is almost full.


Being rail happy, I am also making rails for the border of the improv rail fence quilt. I haven't decided which of rows (the rails or the triangles) should serve as the inner border and which of the rows should serve as the outer border. Today I spent time trying to figure out how to make the rails turn the corner, which is strange because I wasn't planning on doing anything special to make the triangles turn the corner.


It's been super cold here, below zero.  You can tell because Zeus, who is normally blond, turns into a redhead. It was a very short walk.  The street is really icy, and you have to go uphill to turn the corner. I'm so glad it was a holiday and I didn't have to drive in it. Zeus loves the snow though and wanted to keep going outside throughout the day.

This has been Yesterday's News, Today.

Linked to:
Let's Bee Social

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Why is it that the scrap box, basket, bin or bag never does seem to empty despite all that gets used. One of those mysteries of life.

Mcirishannie f/k/a quilt til you wilt said...

Your idea is a great way to manythose scraps. But the do keep growing!