I almost didn't make this quilt.
This quilt started as a block for the Postage Stamp quilt. I had cut some pink squares. I thought it would be interesting to make a rogue block for the Postage Stamp quilt - one that had patterned fabric instead of a solid as a constant. So I started making it, but soon realized that I hadn't counted how many squares I had cut and didn't have nearly enough. I knew I could find another pink and make it a rogue rogue block. One with two constants as well as a patterned fabric.But I didn't like my choices of an additional pink. One of the things I really like about the Postage Stamp quilt is that I can work on it after work when I have decision fatigue. Easy chain piecing a constant to another fabric.
So instead of throwing this in the orphan block box, I thought I could make a mini quilt out of it. It is already started so I would have a good head start.
I found fabrics I liked with it for a mini quilt, but it really wasn't inspiring me. I thought about throwing it in the orphan block box. I had already added it to my spreadsheet and announced it on my blog, but I thought I could get a quiet annulment without anyone noticing.
Then I remembered that Cheri Payne had made a quilt with a block on one side and a vase on the other side. I liked that plan.
I cut out some shapes for the vase and the minute I set it down, it looked like a bed on the left, and some get well flowers you would send or take to someone who wasn't feeling well. The news was on and they were telling us how the whole country is red in terms of infections, and the COVID infections is higher now than it has ever been.
This quilt is dedicated to the whole world - all the people who have passed away, all the people who are mourning them, all the people who are sick, all the people who are doing their best to avoid getting sick, and all the people who are taking care of others.
The quilt is 11" x 8".
I want to thank Wendy at The Constant Quilter for all of her support and encouragement in making a small quilt each month.
12 comments:
Thank you the flowers - so pretty. They look like hydrangeas,one of my favorites. I'm glad you didn't throw it in the orphan block bin.
(p.s. I like your term decision fatigue...I have been suffering symptoms a lot this past week but didn't know what it was called.)
Love the sentiment!
This is absolutely delightful. The fabrics accent each other so beautifully.
I haven't had anyone die from Covid but I've sure had a lot of sickness in my family both Covid and seasonal, and surgeries this year. Everyone deserves a bouquet of flowers for their fight against what's going on around us.
I too thought hydrangeas when I saw the pretty flowers in the vase! Your orphan block is no orphan anymore. What a beautiful little quilt! It is joyful, sending smiles to each and every one who visits your little place. Your sweet quilt will sprinkle cheer to the saddest of hearts♡ Why, your little quilt has added beauty and whimsy to my day♡
This is a perfectly delightful mini collage! I love it!
It's so much fun to hear the process you went through in making this cute little quilt. Our world definitely needs the get well wishes.
Happy New Year!!
Hi Shasta, I was wondering what are the measurements of your mini quilt?
Happy New Year.
That is a gorgeous quilt - I can smell the fragrance!
Such a cheerful vase of get-well flowers for a world that desperate needs some cheer. I love your vase of flowers and the sentiment of a get-well for the world. Happy New year!
A very pretty mini, and I love the dedication to the world. Very sweet and timely!
A very pretty mini with a wonderful sentiment!
You made this quilt that seemed so destined for a box into something with hope and meaning. Wonderful!
Post a Comment