Friday, January 14, 2022

Lansing Leaves Continued

There are drawers in the desk where the sewing machine sits. These drawers store the supplies - threads, rotary cutter, mat, iron, and other things I need. I took inventory of what is in the drawers so I can declutter and organize. 

I found two projects I had put away when there was room in the drawers.

I found Lansing Leaves and Elephant Parade. I put both of them in the WIP drawers for now to see if I can make some progress on them. I might switch them out with other projects, depending on my whims.



For Lansing Leaves, there is the quilt square, some migrating geese units that is mean to be another border, and some fabric. There were no directions or notes, but I think I can figure out how to make the rest of the geese.

I think the reason this quilt got stalled is that the geese don't have a lot of contrast and I am not sure they make the quilt any better. My choices are:

  • stick with the plan and finish the quilt
  • quilt the square and save the geese for another quilt. They might work better as a background instead of a border

Now as I am typing, I think I could finish making the geese, attach them to the quilt and, if needed, attach a vine or something on top,

I don't want to spend a lot of time on this quilt. I will try to add some geese and see if I have enough fabric and can figure out what size to cut the triangles to continue.

All of the work on this quilt was done in 2014. You can read the whole story by reading all the Lansing Leaves posts here.



Linked with:

Monday Making

10 comments:

OPQuilt said...

This is gorgeous--it's just like fall, when contrasts are more muted and colors are subdued but with bright spots of color. I see your conundrum about the flying geese. Can that just be a border of soft contrast, and then you finish up with something stronger? I have a few projects that seem to stall on contrasts, too, so I understand. But it is beautiful! ~ Elizabeth

Robin said...

This is a beautiful project. I like everything about it.

Terry said...

Your leaves are beautiful! :0)

Emily said...

The leaves are beautiful! I agree with you on the lack of contrast in the geese and if it were me, I would leave them off, but I have no doubt that whatever you do will be gorgeous!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I love these fall colors, and you have such a nice start for this quilt! I'm sure you'll think of the perfect way to finish it off.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a stunning seasonal quilt this will be when complete!! Best of luck making some additional progress on it.

Kyle said...

Those fall colors are stunning, but I'm thinking like you, the geese don't seem to add much. I know your creativity is spinning up some other ideas.

Kate said...

The geese are low volume, but they make a very nice frame for the center. You should definitely finish them. You may like the subtle shimmer the geese give, the center will definitely be the focus.

Tanya said...

Such beautiful colors. I'd go ahead and use them even if they don't stand out. The leaves ARE the focal point after all.

Rose said...

I so love this...