Sunday, January 30, 2022

2022: Week 5: 15 Minutes to Stitch


I started to cut the scraps from Lansing Leaves to use in the Postage Stamp quilt, but I decided that I didn't want that much orange in that quilt. I spent the week piecing the Lansing Leaves scrap for the backing. There isn't any room to store any more scraps so I need to use them up.  Normally I try to make a generation quilt, but this time, the next generation will be the back. At least this will keep the baby grandchild quilt from being born before the parent quilt as so frequently happens here. The baby was born first with Project Quilting last week, Flight.
 
I have been enjoying piecing the back. Just joining the scraps based on their size. I had tried this before with a utility quilt that gave me trouble, but I think I must have been trying to make sure everything was balanced and cohesive.

I have found that I have trouble when I am trying to make one piece, and adding to it, like the first Project Quilting piece I did this year. Even though I used Postage Stamp as a leader and ender, I found it to be a constant interruption in working on the one piece, since the stamp had to be every other thing I pushed through the machine. For this back, I am piecing two parts of the backing at a time that will eventually be joined together. It feels like less interruption to keep one train of thought.
 
 

2022: 15 Minutes to Stitch Week 5

I had a solid week of quilting again this week. Besides piecing the back, I went through a bunch of craft magazines to donate. Those blocks in the photo are from the orphan box - they were rejects from Life of Plenty and I think they will fit in perfectly here.

15 minute days this week --7 out of 7
15 minute days this year -- 30 out of 30 days
Success rate  = 100%

Linked with:



15 Minutes to Stitch

Oh Scrap

2022: More Finishes Than Starts


 There haven't been any changes in this chart, so I didn't update the date. But since I have made so much progress on Lansing Leaves, I am closer to having more finishes than starts for 2022.



If you are interested in bright, colorful crochet, Lucy at Attic24 always shows lots of beautiful photos and free patterns. I don't crochet, and I still really enjoy looking at her blog posts.

If you are used in learning how to use repurposed textiles in quilts, Rhonda Cox Dort offers lots of information on her blog, including beautiful free patterns and free classes.

StoryGraph turns your book reading into beautiful graphs. It analyzes your reading to find patterns and reading preferences and offers suggestion. It looks like an alternative to Goodreads.

5 comments:

Robin said...

I agree with you on the leader-ender thing. I have to work on one thing at a time or I start making mistakes.

Kim said...

You have made a lot of progress on Lansing Leaves. I love that you are using all those fabrics for the backing. Such a big job piecing all those fabulous fabrics together. Fabulous you were able to achieve a lot of quilting this week, Shasta.

Kyle said...

Good point about using a L&E in this case. Distractions come often enough.

Rose said...

I am trying to take in your posts...I am really tired and should wait but it is so fun to see all you have done. I don't know how I got away from coming here.

You are making me itch to get some projects finished. But I have a request from my granddaughter that I need to get started on. I just got most stuff put away in my sewing room.

Tanya said...

The colors and fabrics that you have for that quilt are so beautiful. Just like topaz jewels! I have trouble remembering to use my leaders/enders for bridges between plocks like they were planned for. I end up just steadily making a leader/enders quilt.