Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Quilt Reveal: Orange 2-2-22

 

The Project Quilting Challenge this week is Kitchen. There were two things pushing me to do the challenge. 

1. Today is February 2, 2022 and I wanted to put that date as a finish date on a quilt and it is taking me too long to finish the back of Lansing Leaves. 

2. I got the idea to make an orange quilt and there are orange scraps on my table.

It is raw edge applique. The orange is a scrap from Lansing Leaves. The blue is from Amalfi. I hope I wasn't saving it for the binding. If I was, I am going to have to make a scrappy binding for it.



The batting was a fusible, which I hadn't realized before I pressed it, so I didn't get a second pass at those corners.

I got the bright idea to make a cut underneath a label to turn the quilt right side out, but it turns out that I put the front layer on top which did not give me access to the cut. Luckily, I figured that out and left an opening along the edge. I was able to make the edge pretty neat, but I ran out of bobbin thread so that kept it from being as neat as it could be.

 

It was still a fun little quilt and now I have a quilt with 2-2-22 as a finish date. I embroidered it on the front so everyone can see it.




There is a new quiltalong that began yesterday. It is a traditional quilt called Aunt Daisy. It is not a mystery, but the pattern will be released monthly. The pattern is free on the blog and there is a Facebook group if you want to see everyone's progress and fabric choices.


The Ohio Arts Council's Riffe Gallery is showing a tour of the Quilt National 2021 exhibit on their Facebook page. If you can't go in person, this is a great presentation to watch.




11 comments:

Sally Trude said...

I want to offer you two too many congratulations on your early finish for Project Quilting. However, I assume you know that you will receive two demerits for each day before the deadline…you know, for showing off.

Joyful Quilter said...

Cute little quilt. Sounds like it was more of a challenge than the original challenge required (hehehe). Didn't realize what today was until I read your blog - fun touch. I think I just fell in love, are you going to make the Aunt Daisy quilt? I've been collecting CW blues for years waiting for the perfect pattern and I think this is it. Thanks for the link.

Go-Go Kim said...

You are so creative! This is great!!!

Queeniepatch said...

I hadn't thought of the unique date with so many figure 2 in it. You made a nice quilt for that special date. The orange looks good enough to eat!

Robin said...

Fascinating and unique piece. I really like it.

O'Quilts said...

Good job on the orange:) xo

Rose said...

I love how you decide on what you want to do, and then do it.

Tanya said...

The blues and oranges go together so nicely in your Orange Quilt!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, man... Now I wish that I had started my project earlier. Congrats on your 2/2/22 challenge finish, Shasta!!

PersimonDreams said...

this is so sweeet! Love reading your story too ;)

Kate said...

Love your orange. But I like your reason for making it even more. Too fun!