Monday, March 28, 2022

2022: 15 Minutes to Stitch Week 13




 

2022: 15 Minutes to Stitch Week 13

 
I had another successful week of sewing, making sure I take the time away from work and chores to get some quilting done. I spent two fifteen minute breaks from working at home to rip out small portions of seams from the pieced border of the Olympics quilt to close up the chain. This is black thread on black fabric so I am glad it is a small portion. I thought I would just have to chop it straight and add a black rectangle, but I will have to add triangles. This is still a small manageable fix and not a big deal at all.  
 
 
For the rest of the time, since it is close to the end of the month, I wanted to make sure I made more progress on the Jazzy Blues quilt so I added the last row of stitching on the flying geese and now I have to cut off the dog ears and make double flying geese. I also sewed the first set of stitching for the quarter square triangles. Right now, they are half square triangles.


15 minute days this week --7 out of 7
15 minute days this year -- 80 out of 86 days
Success rate  = 93%

Linked with:



15 Minutes to Stitch

 

 

 

There is a great auction happening this weekend. Full of Americana including furniture, pottery, paintings and many gorgeous quilts. I had to keep reminding myself that I am a quilt maker and not a collector. That I have been working the last five years to reduce the amount of things I have in my house. That I am still trying to find a good space to hold the quilts that I do have. The online minimum bids told me that these things would likely be sold outside of my price range. I avoided going to the auction because I would not be able to resist temptation if I went.


So instead I headed to the thrift store. I shouldn't have bought this either, but it seems like something that would have sold at the auction for much more, and at $2.99 it seemed like a crime not to take it home. They priced it as a frame and not as art. Besides the historical significance,the amount of time it took to make this and the cost of framing it is worth way more than that. 

It is disappointing that a professionally framer work used masking tape.

5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Everyone should have a $2.99 treat now and then.

Rose said...

I did not even think about taking the stitching out of black fabric. That is one reason I do not like working with black fabric. I love to see it in other's quilts, but I just cannot deal with taking stitches out of it now.

I have been trying to eliminate clutter from my house now for uears. (except sewing things...and I am not even messing with it. Most of it I want anyway)

You are doing so good on your 15 minutes to stitch.

Kyle said...

It's nice that you're finding a little more stitching time.

Kate said...

You've done well at keeping up with the stitching time even though work has picked up a bit. Small sessions with the seam ripper are much less frustrating I find, so doing it as a break from work sounds like a great approach. Happy stitching this week.

Sandy said...

Unstitching and re-stitching seems to be a theme this week. In which regards, I agree, black is hell. But good to get it done.
I’m curious about the art on the other side of that frame.