Thursday, April 7, 2022

Rest in Peace, Zeus


 Zeus passed away on Monday.


 
He joined us in January of 2011 and completely changed our lives. Taking care of him was a big learning curve for me because I did my best to stay away from dogs before I got him.

His main job was to make sure I got exercise every day, but he took on a lot of other responsibilities as well. He kept me company after my daughter went to school and out in the world on her own. He ate the crusts from my toast. He took a control of my schedule, making sure I woke up on time, ate on time, slept on time. He also made sure that I took breaks from work. 

He was very eager to please but he had his ideas about what he wanted. He liked waking up early, especially when I stayed up late. He regularly changed his communication with me. Sometimes he would just sit beside me when he wanted something, other times he would whine, other times he would pant impatiently, so I did not learn what each communication meant. It took me a while to figure out what he wanted. He also had a certain order he wanted things. Feed him before letting him out. He wanted to go out but only if the neighbor dogs went inside. He wanted to go out but only if I walked with him.

 

About two years ago, he was diagnosed with Degenerative Myelopathy. DM is a spinal condition that impacts a dog’s ability to walk and stand independently, He lost feeling in his back legs and struggled to walk. He was very independent and found solutions for each new issue he had. He had arthritis so he was in a lot of pain even from walking a few steps.


Rest in peace, my dear Zeus. Thank you for the last 10 years. I love you. I miss you. I will never forget you.

15 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. You certainly had a friend in Zeus, and he is you!

Terry said...

So sorry for your loss.

Paula, the quilter said...

Oh! I am so sorry to hear that Zeus went over the Rainbow Bridge. It really does hurt when we lose our best (furry) friend.

Nancy said...

Oh, Shasta, I'm so sorry. Our pets become beloved friends, much more than just animals, and when they leave, they take a part of our heart, too. Zeus sounds like a fun character and a good friend. Blessings to you.

Sandy said...

Oh Shasta, I am so sorry. It sounds like you were a good “mom” and friend.

loulee said...

((Hugs)) It's hard when a furry friend dies.

Paulette said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Zeus, Shasta. It sounds like he had a good life with you, and vice-versa. May you cherish all the wonderful memories of your time together.

Jenny said...

Zeus was such a beautiful dog, and you had 10 years of love together. Saying goodbye to a beloved pet is hard, and he will be forever with you in your heart.

O'Quilts said...

I remember when you got Zeus!!! Awwww, I just hate endings and losses xooxoxxo

Kyle said...

I'm sorry for loss. Zeus was a special member of your family.

Rose said...

I am so sorry for your loss....but he will live on in your heart forever. But still, there are some of my dogs and a cat I would give anything I own to hold again. But I could not stand to have to give them up again

dutchcomfort said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Shasta! I hope you can cherish all the wonderful memories of Zeus!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh Shasta, I am so sorry for your loss. The loss of a beloved family pet is so very hard. I am sending you and your family warm thoughts while you enjoy your memories of him.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Breaks my Heart to know your loss of this dear, dear boy! But to a canine best pal and friend is the best! They are so much more than a companion. They are closer than family on many occasions and they love so deeply and unconditionally. I've had 4 dogs. One in childhood and three raised with my kids over time at different times. Now, it's only lots of different cats and chickens. My Heart goes out to you my friend. Boy did he love you and you returned it and gave him a great life together.. hugs hugs hugs

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

So sorry for your loss. It sounds like you and Zeus were absolutely meant for each other! It's so hard to lose a beloved family pet.