Saturday, March 14, 2020

Quote Quilt Stories


Hello welcome back! I am sure you are here for the latest update on the Inspirational Quote Crazy Quilt.  In our last post, I showed you how I used some markers to color in a stamp on the quilt. This week, I decided to add some Inktense pencils. It was a simple matter of adding some color to the tiny bits that would be too tedious to embroider. The petals on the small flower are so tiny that one little dab of the pencil and the whole flower has a color.

Then I got the bright idea of writing over the "thinking of you" in green. The pencil was too thick and it was difficult to read. After a while, I decided to wash it out.  If I could blend in the green throughout the block, the green would then become a background color and the words could still be seen. So I poured a capful of water over the words and blended it out.


Now that the background was green, I decided to use this space to add a tree. I was going to add a tree anyway, based on a tutorial I saw on YouTube by Dances with Pitbulls. In this picture you see the start of a tree. I am going to add some more to the trunk so it stands straighter and sew down the rest of the branches. This involves threading a needle through each of the strands of floss. I will also be adding leaves and other things to the tree.

Most crazy quilters show blocks after the block is finished. I can't do that since I am not working on whole blocks, but I do like to show you a finished motif at least. This explains why there wasn't a post last week. Nothing picture worthy to show you as everything was in process. Better to spend my time in making something picture worthy than to write a blog post.



The reason progress on the tree was slowed down is because of the picture on the left that was shared on Facebook because of International Women's Day. That lady needed to be on my quilt! I decided to make her using stumpwork based on Queenie's tutorial.  I have her face and arms done. I was going to make the little quilt when I remembered that I already have something that might work, so it is a matter of remembering where I put it.

So yet another unfinished motif. But both of them are a bit more substantial than they were last week and I don't want to keep you waiting. Since you are probably quarantined, you need something to read and make fun of.

This lady though has changed the direction of the quilt a little bit. I like the idea of putting stories in the quilt. Instead of a face, I could add a person doing something calming or relaxing. Instead of a flower, a sprig of flowers reminds the viewer of a time when they received a sprig of flowers, which is likely to be a happy memory.  The tree makes me think of strength, but if I add a swing on the branch, then there is more of a story.


2020:  Week 11 of 15 Minutes to Stitch

I haven't kept up on my weekly posting so I don't know how long the time period is, but I have quilted every week this year. For a few weeks, I have been watching TV on Tuesdays (Finding Your Roots, This is Us and New Amsterdam), and quilt while I watch. In the recent weeks, most of my time has been spent on the Inspirational Quote Crazy Quilt.

This means I can get a whole week of quilting in one day.  Since I was able to work on the quilt this Tuesday, I can report my results early even though my quilting week ends on Sunday. I will probably do some quilting Sunday too, since there is no maximum time.

My time is getting more limited, so I haven't been able to post as much. It will continue to get more limited for a few months depending on the work situation. There is a strong probability that the project I am working on could be cancelled or delayed.


15 minute days this week -- 100%
15 minute days this year -- 75 out of 75 days
Success rate  = 100%

Linked with:
UFO Busting 
15 Minutes to Stitch

6 comments:

Joyful Quilter said...

I like the idea of telling stories...looking forward to seeing what else you add. How big is your crazy quilt?

Tanya said...

Your stumpwork lady is great! Hope you can find what she is supposed to be holding!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Love your "International Women's Day" stump work lady!

Kyle said...

I Enjoy hearing and seeing your stories unfold.

cspoonquilt said...

Congrates on the cute blocks and the 100%! I don't think I could do that. Keep it up!! cheers, cw

Kate said...

Your spontaneous approach to the Quote Crazy Quilt has been fun to watch. Love the tree and your stitching lady. Stay safe, stitch more! Hope you've been able to work from home a bit.