Saturday, September 26, 2020

Quilt Exhibit: Scrap Quilts

 

Hello! Welcome back to the Musee de la Grande Route.  You are in for a treat today - a showcase of a specially curated selection of quilts.  Presenting a curated selection of the scrap quilts Shasta has made. While there are many more scrap quilts in the Work in Progress Hall and more completed scrap quilts in the Repository, all of the curated quilts in this exhibit are completed quilts. I limited myself to 15 pictures to avoid overwhelming you. In this way, future exhibits can present additional quilts as the collection evolves.

In order to give you a large selection of quilts, I have kept my definition of scrap quilts broad, and am showing you all kinds of quilts that fit my definition of scrap quilts. Feel free to discuss /debate.


Mighty Matchstick Mansion is one that truly and easily fits the definition of scrap quilts. It uses scraps left over from making a scrap quilt. It uses any and all fabric leftover without any regard to any criteria. You can't get scrappier than that.


 The Rail Fence is definitely a scrap quilt by every definition. It uses a large variety of fabric, most of which are leftovers from other quilts.


Leftover Rail Fence uses scraps. Even though it is improv and not traditional,  the number of fabrics makes it a scrap quilt. The unplanned nature of the fabric selection and the bright fabrics make me think scrappy even though that doesn't really have anything to do with the official definition of scrap quilts.


Coin Quilt is a scrap quilt that uses a lot of different fabrics. While some are leftover fabrics (scraps), a lot of them were cut from fat quarters.

 

 

Simply Squares and the zig zag quilt on the right also use a large number of fabrics. All of the fabrics had been recently purchased and had not been used in any other quilt so they are technically not scraps, but purchased fabrics are legal for scrap quilts and I am willing to use that loophole. The zig zag quilt and its fraternal twin were made from a kit that came without a pattern, so I repurposed the fabric.

 

I Llike You a Llot Llama is definitely made out of a lot of scraps, so it fits my definition of scrap quilt.  But is not a normal scrap quilt with pieced scraps and most people would put it in the art quilts category and not the scrap quilt category. I put it in both.

  

Little Nine Patch uses scraps and I limited myself to the scraps that were in one shoebox.

 

 

Valentine Art Quilt For Swap are also made with scrap fabrics, and even some paper. The Bargello is made from a jelly roll. The bargello picture is from my blog and the photo appears wider than it is so the proportions are wrong.



The Christmas Trees looks like a scrap quilt but most of the fabric is old but not leftovers.


 

Butterfly Wreaths is made from a variety of fabric, some new and some scraps. Because it uses a large variety of fabric, it easily fits the definition of scrap quilt in my book.



 The Heart Quilt uses a variety of scraps from finished and unfinished quilts.The limited palette and the fact that  it is the background that is scrappy may require some people to look twice to make sure it is a scrap quilt, but I think a jury would rule in my favor.

The  Thirties Boro uses leftover authentic and reproduction 30s fabric from the yoyo quilt which is not finished. Another quilt where it is the background that is scrappy, but the eclectic nature of the fabric makes it obviously a scrap quilt.


This one has a wide but limited range and easily fits my definition of scrap quilt.The smaller picture is from my blog and this quilt was given away so it is nice to revisit it.

 


11 comments:

Chrysanthemum said...

Loved my tour of your Musee. Scrappy is as scrappy does!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

A day at your Musee is one delightful experience, filling me with happiness; each bright and vibrant work of art speaks to me directly from your heart~ you have a great eye for color and contrast!

Fiona said...

I did enjoy your display... scrap quilts being a favourite of mine...
Hugz

tierneycreates said...

These are awesome! I love the scrap quilt that is made from scraps from other scrap quilts :-)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I needed a quilt show this evening so thanks for providing it. I agree with you that quilts with many fabrics in them qualify for scrap quilts even if they didn't technically come from scraps.

Kate said...

Lots of different ways to be scrappy. I still love that Llama mini, it's just so cute.

Robin said...

Enjoyed the Shasta Quilt Show. Such a variety and I enjoyed your explanations. Very enjoyable and it was fun to visit some of your previous quilts - like the one with the elephant.

Kyle said...

Great show!

Tanya said...

I love the fabrics in your zig-zag quilt and of course I still adore the llama!

PatriciaCClark said...

I'm new to your blog, but so glad I found you. I have just bought an Opal 650 machine, Viking of course, so that's how I happened to find you in my search to learn as much as I can about this machine. I enjoyed your scrappy quilt tour. The llama and match stick quilts are my favs. Thanks for your posts. I will be back.

Rose said...

First of all, you and I share the same definition of scrap. I love planned quilts and think they are pretty...even have made a few, but Oh, I so love working with a wide variety of quilts. Love these...that very first might be my favorite.

My mom always quilted, and all she to work with was scraps from making our dresses, and believe me we did not have many clothes. And every now and then someone would give her some scraps, or at one time there was a sewing factory and she managed to get a big box of scraps from it once, maybe twice. Even though it was scraps from making men's cotton pajamas, they were treasures. So it is no wonder I like scrap quilts.