Sunday, February 18, 2024

Quilt Reveal: Crumpled Heart

 I finished another journal quilt this week. It is a quick project made with leftover strips of fabric from my blog hop project I will be showing you on Thursday.



When I made the Raggedy Heart quilt last week, I knew it didn't come close to approximating the inspiration, which was the artwork of Marcellina Akpojotor. She takes strips of Ankara fabric and glues them onto canvas. I translated that work onto a quilt and I think this looks closer to her artwork. Only the black, white and pink fabric is Ankara in my work.



It is a great technique that adds lots of texture to the quilt. Since the pieces aren't fused and keep moving, this technique requires some careful work to make sure that the fabric is where you want it to be and doesn't sewn around the presser foot. 



In keeping with the ragged edging I used last time, I used this trim around the quilt to finish it off.


15 Minutes to Stitch 2024




I still want to try to quilt every day this year. I haven't been updating this every week since I have been so busy working as well as making quilts for the challenges and recording and editing the videos to show them, but I have definitely been working every day.

15 minute days these weeks --21 out of 21 days
15 minute days this year -- 49 out of 49 days
Success rate  = 100%

1 comment:

Kate said...

Your heart is very interesting and very pretty. Congrats on all the stitching time this year, you've added so many new activities this year, it's good you've been able to keep up.