The last time you saw this quilt, it looked like this:
This is a third generation of the red and white quilts, and I was pretty sick of the red and white by now. I've already learned that the fabric looks pink from a distance and doesn't even play nicely as a red and white quilt, so making a third one of these was irritating me. Whoever made up the arbitrary rule that I should keep making red and white quilts?
I looked at the package I won, and back at this quilt, and decided the green would look quite nice as apples. I know you and I both thought that the red could be leaves or apples, but we were both wrong; the apples are green. Since this was supposed to be a scrap quilt, I found some other scraps that might work and brought them downstairs. (Yes there is a blue apple and yes I did that on purpose.)
I added a sun to the top left corner, because all of the drawings I made as a child had one of those. I didn't color very dark as a child so the fact that this sun isn't very bright is fitting.
We had a power outage and I decided to work on this quilt by candlelight. I did not get a chance to audition the fabric, but I kept telling myself "You have a red tree. Does it really matter what color this is?" The eyes are big because I didn't dare to make them any smaller. There is no way I would have found them if I dropped them. I like how the baby bird looks like it is about to fly. Maybe it is a flying lesson. Or animatedly telling Mama what happened at school.
I added the grass, and teased it so it would fray. I had to add a doggie. It doesn't look like Zeus, but it does look like a dog. I put him on top of the grass, because that is what I would have done in kindergarten. This dog is so light, he walks on blades of grass.
I used some tulle to cover the quilt before quilting. The gluestick was old and the glue is washable and I wanted to make sure everything stayed properly in place. I was worried that the glue might stick to the needle and make it difficult to quilt, but it didn't. The tulle makes the blue look like denim from a distance.
I made cloud-like scribbles in the tree as I would as a child. I also added diagonal lines across the background to represent the rays of the sun. Let's see, I have apples, birds and a dog on the quilt. A, B, D. It seemed like I needed something that started with the letter C. I thought "color" might be too obscure. I didn't want car or cat, so I had to look in the dictionary for other C words. I added a clover. While I had the embroidery thread out, I added other little bits around the quilt too, which you can see in the pictures throughout this post.
And in case that doesn't look like clover, or think shamrock instead of clover, I added a little carving in the tree.
Here's the finished quilt. I used the same apple green fabric for a wide binding. I wound up having a seam in the bottom left corner, making it bulky, but I think it is okay.
Here it is with its parent.The grandparent quilt had to be sent to the nursing home because there wasn't enough room for it. This quilt was a lot of fun to make from start to finish.
Let's Bee Social